Summer School for Outstanding Postgraduate and Senior Undergraduate Students co-organized by FCE and RISUD [03/03/2014]
Summer School for Outstanding Postgraduate and Senior Undergraduate Students co-organized by FCE and RISUD
The Faculty of Construction and Environment (FCE) and the Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development (RISUD) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), invite outstanding postgraduate and senior undergraduate students from leading universities around the world in disciplines related to construction and environment to join our Summer School tentatively from 6 (Wednesday) to 15 August 2014 (Friday) in Hong Kong.
Who can apply
1. Full-time postgraduate students pursuing a Master’s degree programme.
2. Fresh graduates of Bachelor degree programmes at the time of the Summer School.
3. Senior undergraduate students who are in the final stage of their studies at the time of the Summer School (e.g. have at least completed 3 years of a 4-year Bachelor degree programme).
4. The applicants should have a strong interest in a research/academic career, excellent communication skills as well good leadership potential.
5. The academic performance of successful applicants is expected to be within the top 10% of students from leading universities (e.g. Chinese mainland universities of the 985 project).
6. For applicants who are not a native speaker of English and from non-English speaking universities, they are expected to meet the following requirements:
a) An overall score of at least 6.5 (with score for the writing component at 6.0 or above) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
b) At least 575 or above in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for the paper-based test, at least 232 in the computer-based test, or at least 90 in the internet-based test.
c) Alternatively, consideration will be given to acceptable scores in other internationally-recognised public examinations, such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
How to submit applications
Please complete the online application form: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/fce/events/FCE&RI_SS/form and attach the following documents:
(1) Recommendation of Academic Referee (Please use the template attached in this email);
(2) a Curriculum Vitae;
(3) Academic transcripts/academic results reports (showing the GPA or average score of each academic year);
(4) a one-page personal statement describing the applicant’s research/career aspirations and
(5) Degree and English examination certificates (if any).
Details of the Summer School
Seminars on research frontiers in construction and environment plus other activities (e.g. laboratory and site visits, gatherings, etc.) will be organized by the FCE and RISUD. The seminars will be delivered in English.
Students who are interested in furthering their studies in disciplines related to construction and environment at PolyU can also take advantage of this opportunity to explore potential research topics at PolyU.
The Summer School is free of charge. Further details can be found at: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/fce/events/FCE&RI_SS
Free accommodation (shared room) will be provided to all admitted students. Economy class return air tickets or train tickets will also be provided on a reimbursement basis. The reimbursement ceiling for students from within and outside the Pearl-river delta region will be HK$1,000 and HK$4,000 respectively.
For enquiry, please email email@example.com or fax 852-2362 2574 or telephone 852-3400 3894.
Interested students are welcome to submit an application online (http://www.polyu.edu.hk/fce/events/FCE&RI_SS/form) on or before 21 March 2014. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.