The Laboratory of Transportation Works of the Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, aims to support and promote teaching and research in the areas of design, construction, maintenance and management of transportation infrastructure projects, management of projects, construction and infrastructure.
The equipment of the Laboratory includes instruments for quality assessment of aggregates, concrete and asphalt materials as well as for recording surface characteristics of pavements. It also includes software for road design, project management and management of road infrastructure.
The Laboratory staff includes Assoc. Professor Athanasios Chassiakos (Laboratory Director), several PhD candidates, MSc graduate students, and undergraduate students working on their Diploma thesis as well as Emeritus Professor Dimitrios Theodorakopoulos (former Laboratory Director).
The Laboratory covers teaching of undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of:
• Design, construction, maintenance and management of highway projects.
• Construction project organization and management.
• Information and communication technologies in construction.
• Life-cycle sustainability of construction projects.
• Optimization methods.
Current topics of research activity include:
• Maintenance and rehabilitation management of pavements and bridges in road networks.
• Nanomaterial in asphalt pavements
• Dynamic analysis of pavements under moving loads.
• Digital representation of structures and infrastructure (Building Information Modeling / Digital Twins).
• Safety management in construction.
• Applications of ICT and AI in managing construction projects.
• Smart cities, infrastructure and construction, smart grid modelling/optimization, energy management and mobility.
• Optimization applications in engineering.
More on https://transport-upatras.weebly.com