Experimental Methods in Earthquake Engineering
Instructor: Bousias Stathis
Course code: 6106
The course is intended as an introduction of graduate students to the experimental techniques and measurements used in engineering and specifically in earthquake engineering.
- Basic knowledge for designing an experimental campaign scope of the testing, etc.
- Dimensional analysis, similitude requirements, true and distorted models, scaled tests.
- Testing methods: static, dynamic, pseudodynamic, artificial excitation.
- Principles of designing test set-ups, planning and preparation.
- Servohydraulic testing systems: loading systems (actuators, servovalves, pumps), system control (control theory, PID control, etc).
- Sensors. Principles of operation, sensor characteristics, sensor mounting, converters.
- Data collection, data acquisition (hardware and software), data analysis and presentation.
- Structural monitoring, in-situ artificial vibration testing.
- Lab exercises, example experimental studies.