Computational Methods in Geotechnical Engineering
Course code: 6205
- Review of elementary numerical methods: collocation, least squares, subspace collocation, methods of Galerkin and Ritz.
- Introduction to the finite-element method for one-dimensional elements, props, piles and combined footings under axial and bending deformation.
- Interaction problems for footings on homogeneous elastic half-space.
- Finite-difference methods.
- Heteyi’s method for beams on elastic foundation.
- Finite-element methods for plane-strain and axisymmetric problems.
- Applications to dams, retaining structures and footings.
- Dynamic problems: spectral elements and transfer-matrix methods.
- Applications to wave propagation in inhomogeneous elastic media.
- Wave transmitting boundaries and the radiation condition.
- Boundary-element methods.
- Discrete-element methods.