Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
Course code: 6203
- Contribution of Geotechnical Engineering to Earthquake Engineering.
- Elements of Engineering Seismology-Ground motion prediction equations (GMPE). Near field effects. Data for the Greek territory.
- Seismic site response-Analytical, numerical and experimental methods.
- Effects of site conditions (including surface topography) on ground motion.
- Soil liquefaction: current criteria for liquefaction susceptibility and liquefaction triggering. Lateral spreading. Results of experimental and numerical studies.
- Seismic earth pressures on retaining structures – seismic stability of slopes and dynamic bearing capacity of foundations.
- Dynamic soil – structure interaction.
- Design methodologies – EAK 2003, EC7 and EC8 – Performance based design – Microzonation studies.