Course code: 6201
- Elasticity and plasticity of soils.
- Critical state theories, bounding surfaces, peak and residual soil strength, theories of dilatancy and contraction, development of excess pore water pressure in triaxial tests.
- Constitutive relations based on the modified Cam Clay model.
- Numerical solutions using Euler and Runge-Kutta methods.
- Soil stiffness at small and large strains.
- Plastic potentials, associated and non-associated flow rules.
- Stability of soil structures using limit analysis.
- Upper- and lower-bound theorems.
- Comparison with simple limit-equilibrium approaches.
- Methods of characteristics.
- Koetter equations.
- Applications in footings, retaining structures and tunnels.
- Dimensional analysis, similarity and geotechnical centrifuge simulation.