Groundwater Remediation with Hydraulic Methods
Instructor: Kaleris Vasilios
Course code: 6313
- Typical sources of pollution, steps for planning remediation actions.
- Isolation of contamination sources, estimation of the extent of contaminations (groundwater sampling).
- Design of pumping and treat measures using analytical solutions (pumping from one well, pumping from wells positioned vertical or parallel to the main flow direction) and the Particle Tracking Method.
- The effect of hydrodynamic dispersion (general transport equation, analytical solution for one-dimensional and two-dimensional transport, well mixed reservoir).
- Saltwater intrusion and remediation of coastal aquifers (sharp interface approach, confined, unconfined and two-layered aquifers, time scale of the retreat of the saltwater wedge, fresh groundwater below islands).