Introduction to the Mechanics of Materials
Instructor: Papanicolaou Catherine
Course code: 5203
- Normal and shear stresses and strains.
- Analysis of stress and strain.
- Stress-strain relationships.
- Stress and strain transformations.
- Axially loaded members (bars).
- Biaxial state of stress (spherical and cylindrical shells).
- Introduction to torsion. Introduction to energy methods. Introduction to experimental techniques.
- Laboratory testing: (a) steel in tension, (b) concrete in uniaxial and triaxial compression, (c) bolts in shear.