Instructor: Triantafillou Thanasis
Course code: 5303
- Bending theory: normal and shear stresses, deflection curve, energy methods.
- Special topics: non-prismatic beams, composite beams, inelastic bending, deflections due to shear, non-symmetric bending, shear center.
- Torsion: circular bars, rectangular bars, thin-walled closed sections, inelastic torsion, torsion of statically indeterminate members.
- Combined loading: axial, flexural, torsional.
- Buckling and stability: elastic and inelastic column behaviour.
- Laboratory testing: (a) strong and weak axis bending of timber beams, (b) inelastic bending of steel tube, (c) torsion of circular rod, (d) rebar buckling.