Instructor: Papanicolaou Catherine, Karantoni Triantafilia
Course code: 5304
- The microstructure of materials.
- Physical, thermal and mechanical properties of materials.
- Natural stones and their products. Hydraulic and air-hardened binders and mortars.
- Concrete: microstructure, constituents, strength, deformations, durability, mix design, fresh concrete.
- Steel and other metals: technological and mechanical properties, corrosion.
- Timber: technology, microstructure, mechanical properties, durability. Ceramics: physical and mechanical characteristics of clay bricks and other products.
- Masonry: mechanical behaviour, durability. Polymers: basic properties, environmental effects, fiber reinforcement, cellular materials.
- Laboratory testing: (a) mix design and workability of concrete, (b) gradation of aggregates, (c) non-destructive testing techniques (impact hammer, ultrasound testing, carbonation depth, permeability).