Instructor: Karantoni Triantafilia
Course code: 5952
- This course covers the properties and classification of wood employed for structures, according to EC5.
- Emphasis is given to the anisotropy of this material, and influence of this anisotropy in relation to load-duration and moisture content, to design.
- The processes associated with verification under axial (compressive or tensile) load, parallel or normal to the grains, bending, shear and torsion, as well as combination of these actions, are covered.
- Single tapered and double tapered, curved and pitched cambered beams are examined.
- Detailing and verification of connections of wooden parts with metal fasteners (bolts, nails and screws) with wooden or metal plates are also examined.
- Rules and verification of mechanically joint columns and beams as well as trusses are explained.
- A course requirement is the completion of a project, which requires the design and verification of a wooden roof.