Earthquake Engineering and Earthquake Resistant Structures
Instructor: Papageorgiou Apostolos
Course code: 5808
- Introduction to the causes of earthquakes, to engineering seismology and earthquake engineering.
- Earthquake intensity and magnitude, scales.
- Seismic hazard and risk.
- Characteristics of strong earthquake ground motions.
- Response and design spectra – elastic and inelastic.
- Elastic and inelastic structural response, plastic hinge model, ductility, ductility and behavior factors.
- Principles of earthquake resistant design, modern Codes.
- Special topics of earthquake resistant structures.
- New technologies.