Panayotis C. Yannopoulos was born at Vounargon of Ileias Province (1953). He has the Diploma of the Faculty of Civil Engineers of the National Technical University of Athens (1976) and the Doctorate Degree from the National Technical University of Athens (1985). He was elected Lecturer at the Department of the Civil Engineering of the University of Patras (1989), Assistant Professor (1993), Associate Professor (2008) and Professor (2014) at the above Department.
He is Director of the Environmental Engineering Laboratory and responsible for the area of Air Pollution of the Laboratory and he has given consulting in a number of public authorities (ETBA for the Patras Industrial Zone, in the Municipalities of Patras and Pyrgos, in Ileias Prefecture and in the Technical Chamber of Greece / Department of Western Greece and in the Region of Western Greece). He has participated in a number of either Departmental or University committees and he has been elected Director of the Division of Environmental Engineering and Transportation (2008-09). Since 2009, he is coordinating the University Network "HYDROCRITES" (http://www.hydrocrites.upatras.gr/AboutUs.aspx), which aims to perform interdisciplinary research studies, which contribute to the science advancement, as well as to provide integrated scientific services on "rush" issues of the thematic area Energy - Environment and especially in the area of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering.
He has been employed as a Researcher in the Chair of Theoretical and Applied Hydraulics of the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (1979-1981) and at the Hydraulics Laboratory, Chair of Theoretical and Applied Hydraulics of the same School (1985). He has been a Visiting Research Assistant of the Civil Engineering Department of the University of Birmingham (1986-1987). He has been employed as a Researcher at the Division of Water Resources, Hydraulic and Maritime Engineering of the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (1988).
His professional experience has started by his part-time employment at the Technical Division of the Greek Ministry of Public Works (1975-1976) and was continued during his military service at the Hellenic Airforce as a Second Lieutenant in the Maintenance of Airforce Installations (1976-1979). Then, he has conducted free profession in Civil Engineering (1976-1993) and further on as a Technical Examiner of the Technical Chamber of Greece, on Civil Engineering topics (1980). Finally, he has been a Consultant of Public Works in the Category No. 13 "Hydraulic Engineering" with a Certificate for class Β΄ studies (1981-1993).
He is an editor of 4 books (Congress and Abstract Proceedings) and he is the author for 1 monography and 5 University teaching books, over than 30 papers in international scientific journals and books and over than 130 technical reports, classroom notes, presentations in scientific conferences with review and proceedings etc. Finally, he was a Principal Investigator of 5 scientific projects with a public financial support and 8 scientific projects of the Environmental Engineering Laboratory without any external economic resources.
He was awarded as a Visiting Research Assistant at the Civil Engineering Department of the University of Birmingham in Great Britain (1986-1987), as well as for the best Poster presentation in the "First World Conference on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics", Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia, 1988, Eds. R.K. Shah, K.T. Yang and E.N. Ganic, Elsevier, and in the VI International Congress “Water Engineering and Management in a Changing Environment”, European Water Resources Association (EWRA), Catania, Italy, June 29th - July 2nd, 2011, Chair of the Local Organizing Committee Prof. Antonini Cancelliere.
He is a member of International and Hellenic Scientific Committees and Associations, as Technical Chamber of Greece (Τ.Ε.Ε.), Greek Club of Civil Engineers, Hellenic Hydrotechnical Union (Ε.Υ.Ε.), European Water Resources Association (Ε.Ε.Δ.Υ.Π.), Greek Association of Computational Mechanics (ΕΛ.ΕΤ.Υ.Μ.), British Graduates Society (B.G.S.), International Association for Hydraulic Research (I.A.H.R.), Association of University Departments of Environmental Sciences in Europe (auDes), Global Network of Environmental Science and Technology (G.NEST), Joint Specialist Group (JSG) on Marine Outfalls and Coastal Environment (MOCE). He has been President of the Organising Committee of the Hellenic 2nd Common Congress of E.Y.E. and E.E.D.Y.P. 2012, which took place in Patras. He has participated in many organising and scientific committees, as well as in heading and organising Conference Sessions.
His main research activities are in the areas of Environmental Engineering and Environmental Hydraulics, with emphasis in air and water pollution (transport - diffusion - dispersion of pollutants in the atmospheric and aquatic environments, disposal system design of pollutants, quality measurements, discharge measurement methodologies), as well as in air and solid waste and water management. He has collaborated through research projects with scientists of other laboratories of either the Department or other departments and universities.
He is reviewer in international and national journals and congresses, scientific books and research proposals.
Citations of published scientific work: More than 90 (without including self-citations).
- Podimata M. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2013). “Evaluating challenges and priorities of a trans-regional river basin in Greece by using a hybrid SWOT scheme and a stakeholders’ competency overview”. Intl. J. River Basin Management 11(1), pp. 93–110.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2012). “Unique superposition solutions of multiple plane or round buoyant jets for tracer and buoyancy fluxes”. Journal of Environmental Engineering (ASCE)138(9), pp. 985–989.
- Bekri E.S. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2012). “The interplay between the Alfeios River basin components and the exerted environmental stresses: A critical review”. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution 223(7), pp. 3783-3806.
- Yannopoulos P.C. & Bloutsos A.A. (2012). “Escaping Mass Approach for Inclined Plane and Round Buoyant Jets”. J. of Fluid Mech. 695, pp. 81-111.
- Bloutsos A.A. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2011). “Concentrations of Selected Toxic Elements in Airborne Particulates of Patras, Greece”, Global NEST Journal 13(2), pp. 109-118.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2010). “Advanced integral model for groups of interacting round turbulent buoyant jets”. Environ Fluid Mech, 10(4), pp. 415-450.
- Yannopoulos P.C., Demetracopoulos A.C. & Hadjitheodorou Ch. (2008). “Quick Method for Open Channel Discharge Measurements Using Air Bubbles”, Journal of Hydr. Engineering (ASCE), Vol. 134, No. 6, pp. 843-846.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2007). "Spatial Concentration Distributions of Sulfur Dioxide and Nitrogen Oxides in Patras, Greece, in a Winter Period", Environ Monit Assess, Vol. 135, pp. 163-180. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10661-007-9641-2.
- Yannopoulos P.C. & Noutsopoulos G.C. (2006). "Interaction of Vertical Round Turbulent Buoyant Jets. Part I: Entrainment Restriction Approach", J. of Hydr. Res., 44(2), pp. 218-232. Part II: Superposition Method" J. of Hydr. Res., 44(2), pp. 233-248.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2006). “An improved integral model for plane and round turbulent buoyant jets”, J. of Fluid Mech., 547, 267-296.