Fardis Michael N.
Telephone: +30 2610 997651
Fax: +30 2610 997694
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Professor and Director of Structures Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece. He is Honorary President of the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), having served as its President in 2009-10, Deputy President in 2007-08 and Presidium Member 2002-12. He is Vice Chairman of CEN/TC250: "Structural Eurocodes" (2013-2016) and Director, International Association of Earthquake Engineering (IAEE). He holds MSc degrees in Civil Engineering (1977) and Nuclear Engineering (1978) and a PhD in Structural Engineering (1979), all from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he taught at the Civil Engineering Department to the rank of Associate Professor.
As chairman of the CEN sub-committee CEN/TC250/SC8 for Eurocode 8: "Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance" (1999-2005), he led the development of its six parts into European Standards. He is Associate Editor of "Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering" (from 1/1/2015) and Editorial Board Member of "Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics", "Earthquake Spectra", "Journal of Earthquake Engineering", "Structural Concrete" and "Earthquake and Structures". He was Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the 3rd fib Congress, in Washington DC, June 2010 and the fib Symposium “Concrete: 21st Century Superhero – Building a Sustainable Future”, in London, June 2009 and of the Organising Committee of the fib Symposium “Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions”, in Athens, May 2003.
He authored “Seismic Design, Assessment and Retrofitting of Concrete Buildings” (Springer, 2009, to be published in Chinese by China Architecture & Buildings Press), is the lead author of “Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings per Eurocode 8" (Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2014) and of "Designers’ Guide to EN1998-1 and EN1998-5: Eurocode 8-Seismic actions, buildings, foundations & retaining structures” (ICE Publishing 2005, 2011, published in Italian by EPC Editore, 2011, in Greek by Kleidarithmos, 2011 and in Russian by MΓCY, 2013), co-author of “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-2: Eurocode 8-Bridges” (ICE Publishing 2012) and author or co-author of 25 Chapters in international books. He is the editor or co-editor of four books published by Springer from 2010 to 2013. He has over 200 papers in international journals or conference proceedings (among them, 25 invited lectures). He received the 1993 Wason Medal of the
American Concrete Institute for the best paper in materials.
He co-ordinated the European Community’s research projects “Seismic Performance Assessment & Rehabilitation - SPEAR” (2001-05, 1,344,442 €), “Advanced Centre of Excellence in Structural & Earthquake Engineering – ACES” (2008-12, 1,100,000 €) and “Seismic Engineering Research Infrastructures for European Synergies – SERIES” (2009-13, 8,700,000 €).
View here the full CV
of Michael N. Fardis.
Recent Journal Publications
Recent Invited Lectures in Conferences
- F. Karantoni, G. Tsionis, F. Lyrantzaki, M.N. Fardis, Seismic fragility of regular masonry buildings for in-plane and out-of-plane failure, Earthquakes and Structures, 2014 (accepted).
- K. Antoniou, G. Tsionis, M.N. Fardis, Inelastic shears in ductile RC walls of mid-rise wall-frame buildings and comparison to Eurocode 8, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2014 (accepted).
- E. Liossatou, M.N. Fardis, Residual displacements of RC Structures as SDOF Systems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2014 (accepted).
- D.E. Biskinis, M.N. Fardis, Models for FRP-wrapped rectangular RC columns with continuous or lap-spliced bars under cyclic lateral loading, Engineering Structures, 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.021.
- E. Strepelias, X. Palios, S.N. Bousias, M.N. Fardis, Experimental investigation of concrete frames infilled with RC for seismic rehabilitation Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 2013, 139, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000817.
- M.N. Fardis, A. Schetakis, E. Strepelias, RC buildings retrofitted by converting frame bays into RC walls, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, Oct. 2013, 1541-1561.
- D.E. Biskinis, M.N. Fardis, Stiffness and cyclic deformation capacity of circular RC columns with or without lap-splices and FRP wrapping, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, Oct. 2013, 1447-1466.
- M.N. Fardis, Performance- and displacement-based seismic design and assessment of concrete structures in the Model Code 2010. Structural Concrete, Vol. 14, No. 3, Sept. 2013, 215-229.
- M.N. Fardis, G. Tsionis, Eigenvalues and modes of distributed-mass symmetric multispan bridges with restrained ends for seismic response analysis, Engineering Structures, 2013, 51, 141-149.
- M.N. Fardis, A. Papailia, G. Tsionis, Seismic fragility of RC frame and wall-frame buildings designed to the EN-Eurocodes, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol.10, No. 6, 2012, 1767-1793.
- V.G. Bardakis, M.N. Fardis, A displacement-based seismic design procedure for concrete bridges having deck integral with the piers, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2011, 537-560.
- V.G. Bardakis, M.N. Fardis, Nonlinear dynamic v elastic analysis for seismic deformation demands in concrete bridges having deck integral with the piers, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2011, 519-536.
- M.N. Fardis, From performance- and displacement-based assessment of existing buildings per EN1998-3 to design of new concrete structures in fib MC2010, 2nd European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Istanbul, Aug. 2014
- M.N. Fardis, D.E. Biskinis, S. Grammatikou, RC members in cyclic loading: Strength, deformation capacity, failure modes, 8th International Conference on Analytical Models and New Concepts in Concrete and Masonry Structures (AMCM2014), Wroclaw, June 2014.
- M.N. FARDIS, European seismic design codes for concrete structures: Past, present and future. Keynote Lecture, 2nd Turkish Conference on Earthquake Engineering & Seismology (TDMSK-2013), Antakya, Sept. 2013.
- M.N. FARDIS, The European approach to seismic engineering and codification for concrete structures, Keynote Closing Lecture, fib Symposium “Engineering a Concrete Future: Technology, Modelling & Construction”, Tel Aviv, April 2013.
- M.N. FARDIS, Performance-and displacement-based seismic design of concrete structures in fib Model Code 2010, Keynote Lecture, ACE (Advances in Civil Engineering) 2012 Conference, Ankara, Oct. 2012.