Fardis Michael N.
Telephone: +30 2610 997651
Fax: +30 2610 997694
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Professor and Director of Structures Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece. He is Honorary President of the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), having served as its President in 2009-10, Deputy President in 2007-08 and Presidium Member 2002-12. He is Vice Chairman of CEN/TC250: "Structural Eurocodes" (2013-2016) and Director, International Association of Earthquake Engineering (IAEE). From Jan. 1, 2016 he will be Editor of "Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics", the top ranking journal in Structural or Earthquake Engineering. He holds MSc degrees in Civil Engineering (1977) and Nuclear Engineering (1978) and a PhD in Structural Engineering (1979), all from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he taught at the Civil Engineering Department to the rank of Associate Professor.
As chairman of the CEN sub-committee CEN/TC250/SC8 for Eurocode 8: "Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance" (1999-2005), he led the development of its six parts into European Standards. He is Editorial Board Member of "Structural Concrete". He served as Associate Editor of "Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering" from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2015 as Editorial Board Member of the same journal till Dec. 2014, and as Editorial Board Member of "Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics", "Earthquake Spectra", "Journal of Earthquake Engineering" and "Earthquakes and Structures" till Dec. 2015. He was Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the 3rd fib Congress, in Washington DC, June 2010 and the fib Symposium “Concrete: 21st Century Superhero – Building a Sustainable Future”, in London, June 2009 and of the Organising Committee of the fib Symposium “Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions”, in Athens, May 2003.
He authored “Seismic Design, Assessment and Retrofitting of Concrete Buildings” (Springer, 2009, under translation by China Architecture & Buildings Press), is the lead author of “Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings per Eurocode 8" (Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2015) and of "Designers’ Guide to EN1998-1 and EN1998-5: Eurocode 8-Seismic actions, buildings, foundations & retaining structures” (ICE Publishing 2005, 2011, published in Italian by EPC Editore, 2011, in Greek by Kleidarithmos, 2011 and in Russian by MΓCY, 2013), co-author of “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-2: Eurocode 8-Bridges” (ICE Publishing 2012) and author or co-author of 25 Chapters in international books. He is the editor or co-editor of four books published by Springer from 2010 to 2013. He has over 225 papers in international journals or conference proceedings (among them 26 invited lectures), about 4600 citations and H-index of 32 per Google Scholar or about 1680 (excluding self-citations) and H-index of 20 per Scopus. He received the 1993 Wason Medal of the American Concrete Institute for the best paper in materials.
He co-ordinated the European Community’s research projects “Seismic Performance Assessment & Rehabilitation - SPEAR” (2001-05, 1,344,442 €), “Advanced Centre of Excellence in Structural & Earthquake Engineering – ACES” (2008-12, 1,100,000 €) and “Seismic Engineering Research Infrastructures for European Synergies – SERIES” (2009-13, 8,700,000 €).
Full CV here
Journal Papers of last three years
Προσκλημένες Ομιλίες σε Διεθνή Συνέδρια τα τρία τελευταία χρόνια
- M.N. FARDIS and G. Tsionis, Eigenvalues and modes of distributed-mass symmetric multispan bridges with restrained ends for seismic response analysis, Engineering Structures, 2013, 51, 141-149.
- M.N. FARDIS, Performance- and displacement-based seismic design and assessment of concrete structures in the Model Code 2010. Structural Concrete, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2013, 215-229, DOI 10.1002/suco.201300001.
- D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Stiffness and Cyclic Deformation Capacity of Circular RC Columns with or without Lap-Splices and FRP Wrapping, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, Oct. 2013, 1447-1466, DOI 10.1007/s10518-013-9442-7.
- M.N. Fardis, A. Schetakis and E. Strepelias, RC buildings retrofitted by converting frame bays into RC walls, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, 2013, No. 5, 1541-1561, DOI 10.1007/s10518-013-9435-6.
- E. Strepelias, X. Palios, S.N. Bousias and M.N. Fardis, Experimental investigation of concrete frames infilled with RC for seismic rehabilitation, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 2013, Vol. 139, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000817.
- D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Models for FRP-wrapped rectangular RC columns with continuous or lap-spliced bars under cyclic lateral loading, Engineering Structures, 2013, Vol. 57, Dec. 2013, pp.199–212, DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.021.
- F. KARANTONI, G. TSIONIS, F. LYRANTZAKI and M.N. FARDIS, Seismic fragility of regular masonry buildings for in-plane and out-of-plane failure, Earthquakes and Structures, Vol. 6 (6) 2014 pp.:689-713.
- K. ANTONIOU, G. TSIONIS and M.N. FARDIS, Inelastic shears in ductile RC walls of mid-rise wall-frame buildings and comparison to Eurocode 8, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering March 2015, Vol. 13(3), pp 841-869.
- E. LIOSSATOU and M.N. FARDIS, Residual displacements of RC Structures as SDOF Systems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, April 2015, Vol. 44(4), pp.713-734
- M.N. FARDIS and D.E. BISKINIS, Transnational Access to European Seismic Research Facilities, Structures and Buildings, Nov. 2015, Special Issue: Timber Buildings (in print).
- M.N. FARDIS, E. LIOSSATOU and A.J. KOSMOPOULOS, Analysis of First Building Retrofitted to EN-Eurocode 8 vs. Performance under Near-Design-Level Earthquake, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering DOI: 10.1007/s10518-015-9740-3 Vol. 13(9), September 2015, pp 2567-2590
- S. GRAMMATIKOU, D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Strength, Deformation Capacity and Failure Mode of RC Walls under Cyclic Loading, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering. DOI 10.1007_s10518-015-9762-x. Vol. 13(11), November 2015), pp 3277-3300
- M.N. FARDIS, Uplift of deck or footings in bridges with distributed mass subjected to transverse earthquake, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2607 (On line, August 11, 2015)
- N. STATHAS, S. SKAFIDA, S.N. BOUSIAS, M.N. FARDIS, S. DIGENIS, X. PALIOS Hybrid Simulation of Bridge Pier, Uplifting Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 10.1007/s10518-015-9822-2 (On line, September 24, 2015)
- D.E. BISKINIS, M.N. FARDIS and A. ANDRIOPOULOS-PSAROS, Strength, stiffness and cyclic deformation capacity of RC frames converted into walls by infilling with RC. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 14(3), 2016, pp. 769-803.
- S. GRAMMATIKOU, D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Ultimate strain criteria for RC members in monotonic or cyclic flexure. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 142(9), 04016046, September 2016.
- E. LIOSSATOU and M.N. FARDIS, Near-fault effects on residual displacements of RC structures. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 45(9), July 2016, p.1391-1409.
- M.N. FARDIS, The European approach to seismic engineering and codification for concrete structures, Keynote Closing Lecture, fib Symposium “Engineering a Concrete Future: Technology, Modelling & Construction”, Tel Aviv, April 2013.
- M.N. FARDIS, European seismic design codes for concrete structures: Past, present and future. Keynote Lecture, 2nd Turkish Conference on Earthquake Engineering & Seismology (TDMSK-2013), Antakya, Sept. 2013.
- M.N. FARDIS, D. BISKINIS and S. GRAMMATIKOU, RC members in cyclic loading: Strength, deformation capacity, failure modes, 8th Intern. Conf. on Analytical Models and New Concepts in Concrete and Masonry Structures (AMCM2014), Wroclaw, June 2014.
- M.N. FARDIS, From performance- and displacement-based assessment of existing buildings per EN1998-3 to design of new concrete structures in fib MC2010, 2nd European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Istanbul, Aug. 2014
- M.N. FARDIS, Experience from the use of the European Standard EN 1998-3 for seismic assessment and retrofitting - Prospects for the future. SMAR 2015. Keynote Lecture, 3rd Conference on Smart Monitoring, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Civil Structures, Antalya, Sept. 2015
- M.N. FARDIS, Multihazard design of concrete buildings. 1st International Conference on Νatural hazards and infrastructure - Protection, design, rehabilitation, Chania, June 2016.
- M.N. FARDIS, Holistic design of concrete structures for resilience to blast, impact, fire and earthquake. 1st International Workshop on Resilience, Torino, Sept. 2016.28.
- M.N. FARDIS, Multihazard design of concrete structures for earthquake, blast, impact or fire. 20th National Congress of the Mexican Society of Structural Engineering, Merida, Nov. 2016.
- M.N. FARDIS, Design models for strength, stiffness and cyclic deformation capacity of RC members retrofitted with FRP. Invited Lecture, Μini-symposium "Seismic Retrofit of RC Structures with FRP Composites", 8th International Conference on Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2016), Hong Kong, Dec. 2016.
- M.N. FARDIS, Synergies and conflicts between seismic design and design for other extreme actions. Keynote speech, International Symposium in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Reykjavik, June 2017