Telephone: +30 2610 996519, 6599
Fax: +30 2610 996572
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Born in Athens (1957). He is a graduate of the School of Mathematics and Physics of the University of Athens; he holds a Master of Science in Hydraulics from Rutgers University, U.S.A., and a Ph.D. in Environmental Fluid Mechanics from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, U.S.A. He serves as Associate Professor since 2013 in the Department of Civil Engineering.
He was a Research Assistant in the St Anthony Falls Hydraulic Laboratory (1984-88), a Teaching Assistant in the Civil Engineering Department of the University of Minnesota (1982-87), Collaborating Researcher D (1990-95) at the Institute of Nuclear Technology and Radiation Protection of the National Center for Scientific Research “Demokritos” in Athens. He was elected Researcher D at the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (1995) and Assistant Professor (1995) and Associate Professor (2013) in the Department of Civil Engineering.
He is the author or co-author of 12 papers in refereed journals, 27 in international and national refereed conference proceedings και 7 technical reports. He has participated in a number of research projects, in three of which as principal investigator, and has served as a referee in 9 international journals. He was the representative for Greece (1994-95) in the NATO CCMS Committee on “Use of Simulators as a Means of Reducing Environmental Impacts Caused by Military Activities”.
His main research interests lie in the Hydrodynamics of Coastal Waters, Lakes and Reservoirs, Density Currents, Numerical Methods in Fluid Mechanics, Environmental Heat and Mass Transfer.
Find here the CV of Prof. Horsch.
- Fourniotis, N.Th. and Horsch, G.M. (2012). “Simulation of the Far-Field Dilution of Effluents into the Gulf of Patras (Greece)”, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 868-879.
- Fourniotis, N.Th. and Horsch, G.M. (2012). “Early Summer Circulation in the Gulf of Patras (Greece)”, ISOPE-2012 Conference, The 22nd International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Rhodes, Greece, June 17−22, pp. 740-745.
- Fourniotis, N.Th. and Horsch, G.M. (2010). “Three-Dimensional Simulation of Wind-Induced Barotropic Circulation in the Gulf of Patras”, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 37, pp. 355-364.
- Ch.M. Dietz, P. Diplas, G.M. Horsch (2010). “A Spectral Method Determination of the first critical Rayleigh Number in a Cylindrical Container”, Appl. Math. Modelling, Vol. 34, Iss. 8, pp 2178-2191.
- Horsch, G.M. (2006). “Scaling of three-dimensional, miscible, laminar density currents flowing down an incline”, Proc. of the International Conference on Protection and Restoration of the Environment VIII, 3-7 July, Chania, Greece.
- A.G. Venetsanos, G.M. Horsch, G.C. Christodoulou (2005). “Assessment of Turbulence Modeling of Density Currents Developing Three-Dimensionally on a Slope”, J. of Marine Env. Eng, Vol. 7, pp. 325-343.
- Horsch, G.M. (2004). “The Structure of Two-Dimensional, Steady, Miscible Laminar Density Currents flowing Down an Incline”, Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol. 42, No 2, pp. 173-181.
- Horsch,G.M. (1998). "Steady, Diffusive-Reactive Transport in a Shallow Triangular Domain", Jour. of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol 124, No 10.