Dr. Evangelos Matsoukis was born in Kefallinia, Greece. He holds a first degree in Civil Engineering from the Aristotles University of Thessaloniki, and a Ph.D. from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland. He is a Professor in the Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece; he is Director of the Transport and Traffic Engineering Study Unit and in charge of research teams in Traffic Engineering, Transport Operations and Airport Engineering at the same University.
He has previously worked as a researcher at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow ,special scientist , Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras. Also, he has worked as a consultant to the Department of Traffic Engineering, Greek Ministry of the Environment and Public Works (1979-1985), Visiting Professor at the University of Minnesota (1985-1986). He has been General Manager of the Electric Buses of Athens (1990-1993). In years 2004-2005 he served as Greece’s representative in the High Level Group for the development of the Trans-European Networks.
He has written 5 books and more than 100 papers in international scientific magazines and in the proceedings of scientific conferences. He has been director of a number of research projects supported by private and public enterprises. Finally he is member of various International and National Research Committees and Unions.
He organized three major international Conferences at the University of Patras, as follows:
1. International Conference on Airports and Air Transport “Evolutions in the 21st century”, December 2001.
2. International Conference on Contemporary Tram and Light Rail Systems May 2003.
3. 1st International Conference: Traffic Signals -Recent Developments. Transport Telematics, May 2004.
4. 3rd Panellenic Conference on Road Safety, October 2005.
5. International Conference “ ROADS OF THE FUTURE”, June 2007.
6. International Conference “TRANSPORT SECURITY” May 2008.
His main research interests are found in the areas of Traffic Engineering, Transportation and Airports with emphasis in the models and methodologies of transport systems, safety, traffic signals and airport design.
1. "Privatization of Parking Operations", Journal of Transport Policy, vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 25-31, Jan. 1995.Back
2. "Privatization of Bus services in Athens, Greece: Assessment of a 14-month Experiment". Transport Reviews, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 67-78, January 1996.
3. "Analysis of Factors Affecting Road Safety: The Greek Experience". ITE Journal, American Institute of Transportation Engineers, vol. 67, no. II, pp. 26-31, 1997.
4. "The Role of a Feasibility Study in Planning a New L.R.T. System" in Proceedings of the W.I.T. Urban Transport IX Conference, pp 25-32, Crete, March 2003.
5. "Renovations in the Athens Central Traffic Signalization System in view of the Athens Olympics 2004" in Proceedings of the JCT 8th Traffic Signal Symposium, Nottingham University, UK, September 2003.
6. "Estimation of Peak Period Delays at Signalized Urban Intersections". Proceedings of the 1st International Conference: Traffic Signals -Recent Developments. Transport Telematics, Patras, Greece, May 2004.
7. "Proper Planning and Citizen Participation as Prerequisites for the Successful Design of a Modern Tramway System-Lessons Learnt from the Athens Tramway Example" in Proceedings of the W.I.T. III Conference ‘Sustainable City 2004’ ,pp 515-527, Siena ,Italy, June 2004.
8. "The European Transport Axes in the Balkan and the Prospects of the Ionian-Adriatic Highway", 4th IRF(International Road Federation)Congress for SouthEast Europe,Dubrovnik,Croatia,March 2005.
9. "Calculating the Performance Index for isolated and coordinated traffic signal controlled intersections", in Proceedings of the W.I.T. XI Conference "Urban Transport 2005" , pp 681-690, Algarve,Portugal, 2005.
10. “Air Traffic Management in the SouthEast European Countries-Current Situation and Prospects” Transport Europei, issue no 37,pp16-34, December 2007.
11. “Estimation of value–of-time using ordered discrete choice models” Journal of Public Transportation,National Center for Transit Research, University of South Florida, USA, vol. 10, No 3,pp 1-19, 2007.
12. “A System to Reduce Congestion and Improve Travel Time Reliability” European Roads Review , ERR No 11 ,RGRA, pp 47-53, Fall 2007.
13. “The realistic prospects of upgrading international transport axes in the Balkan Area” Transport Europei, issue No 38,pp 46-59, April 2008.