Telephone: +30 2610 996542, 6550
Fax: +30 2610 996576
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
George Mylonakis specializes in geotechnical earthquake engineering, computational geomechanics, stress wave propagation, and soil-structure interaction with emphasis on pile foundations and retaining structures. He holds a Diploma degree in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University, Athens (1993) and a Ph.D. degree from State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo (1996). He has held or is currently holding appointments at the National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (NCEER) as Research Assistant and Associate (1993-1997), City University of New York (CUNY) as Assistant and Associate Professor with Tenure (1997-2004), University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) as Visiting and Adjunct Professor (2010-), and University of Bristol as Professor (2013-).
Professor Mylonakis is recipient of the Shamsher Prakash International Research Award (2002), the City University of New York’s Performance Excellence Award (1999), and a Nominee for the 2001 Best Paper Award of the Japanese Geotechnical Society (2001).
He has served as Coordinator, Researcher and Reviewer in over 15 research projects sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER), the Shimizu Corporation, the General Secretariat for Research andTechnology (GSRT) and the Ministry of Education of Greece, among others.
Over the past fifteen years, Professor Mylonakis has authored or co-authored approximately 200 scientific publications (over 60 in professional journals), delivered more than 50 invited talks around the world and refereed for over 30 international journals. His work has attracted over 1000 citations by independent researchers. He has served or is currently serving as Editorial Board Member in the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (ASCE), the Journal of Earthquake and Structures, and the Journal of Environmental Geotechnics (ICE).
Professor Mylonakis has also served as GuestEditor in Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering Journal and is elected member of the National Soil Dynamics Committee of ASCE. He is also member of several professional associations including ASCE, ICE, EERI, JGE and GRACM.
- Voyagaki, E., Psycharis, I.N., Mylonakis, G. “Rocking Response and Overturning Criteria for Free-Standing Rigid Blocks to Single-Lobe Pulses”, Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 46, pp. 85-95, 2013
- Anoyatis, G., Di Laora, R., Mylonakis, G. “Axial Kinematic Response of End-Bearing Piles to P Waves”, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 37, pp. 2877-2896, 2013
- Kloukinas, P., Langousis, M., Mylonakis, G. “Simple Wave Solution for Seismic Earth Pressures on Gravity Walls”, Journal of Geotechnical & Geo-Environmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 138, No. 12, pp. 1514–1519, 2012
- DiLaora, R., Mandolini, A., Mylonakis, G. “Pile-Head Kinematic Moments in Layered Soil”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 319-337, 2013
- Voyagaki, E., Mylonakis, G., Psycharis, I.N. “Rigid Block Sliding to Idealized Acceleration Pulses: Analytical Investigation”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics ASCE, Vol. 138, No. 9, pp. 1071-1083, 2012
- Anoyatis, G. and Mylonakis, G. “Dynamic Winkler Modulus for Axially Loaded Piles”, Geotechnique, Vol. 62, No. 6, pp. 521-536, 2012