Telephone: +30 2610 996516
Fax: +30 2610 996155
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Τhanasis Triantafillou was born in Patras (1963). He received the Diploma in Civil Engineering from the University of Patras (1985), and the MSc (1987) and PhD (1989) Degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering and Director of the Structural Materials Laboratory.
He worked as Post-Doctoral Research Associate (1989) and as Assistant Professor (1990-1993) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT; and as Visiting Professor in the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research – EMPA (summers of 1990-1991). He joined the University of Patras in 1993.
He is the author of 5 books; 39 book chapters; 83 papers in international scientific Journals; 145 papers in conference proceedings (including 19 keynotes); 14 invited papers in workshops; and >100 research reports. He has been scientific coordinator in 41 research projects with funding from private or public organisations and the European Commission. He has received: (a) the International Institute for FRP in Construction Medal (2010); (b) the Golden Mirko Roš Medal from the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research (EMPA) for life’s work in the field of Materials and Engineering Science (2007); (c) the Best Basic Research Paper Award (2003) from the ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction; (d) the Honorable Mention Applied Research Paper Award (2002) from the ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction; (e) the Best Research Paper Award (1997) from the ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering; and (f) the Fulbright Senior Research Award (1996). He has consulting experience in the field of advanced materials and strengthening/seismic retrofitting of concrete, masonry and timber structures. His publications have received more than 10965 citations (Google Scholar 22/10/2019) and his h-index is 48. Prof. Triantafillou has served in the scientific committee of 133 international and 14 national conferences; he has reviewed 670 papers in 96 international journals; and he has delivered more than 120 invited lectures in Universities and other organizations, mainly abroad. Dr. Triantafillou is a member of several International and National Scientific Committees and Societies, Associate Editor for two International Journals (ASCE J. of Composites for Construction, J. of Composites Science) and member of the International Editorial Board for 7 International Journals.
His main research interests are focused in the application of advanced structural materials in structures, with emphasis in the field of strengthening/retrofitting of concrete, masonry and timber structures. He has limited research activity in steel-concrete composite construction and in the damage detection of materials and structures using smart monitoring systems. His past research interests were focused in the mechanics of cellular materials and in the optimum design of structural sandwich panels.
the full CV of T. Triantafillou
Selected Recent Publications
- Gkournelos, P. D., Bournas, T. A. and Triantafillou, T. C. (2019). “Combined Seismic and Energy Upgrading of Existing Reinforced Concrete Buildings using TRM Jacketing and Thermal Insulation”, Earthquakes and Structures, 16(5), 625-639, doi:10.12989/eas.2019.16.5.625.
- Tsantilis, A. V. and Triantafillou, T. C. (2018). “Innovative Seismic Isolation of Masonry Infills using Cellular Materials at the Interface with the Surrounding RC Frames”, Engineering Structures, 155, 279-297.
- Triantafillou, T. C., Karlos, K., Kefalou, K. and Argyropoulou, E. (2017). “An Innovative Structural and Energy Retrofitting System for URM Walls using Textile Reinforced Mortars Combined with Thermal Insulation: Mechanical and Fire Behavior”, Construction and Building Materials, 133, 1-13.
- Triantafillou, T. C., Choutopoulou, E., Fotaki, E., Skorda, M., Stathopoulou, M. and Karlos, K. (2016). “FRP Confinement of Wall-like Reinforced Concrete Columns”, Materials and Structures, RILEM, 19(1), 651-664.
- Koutas, L., Triantafillou, T. C. and Bousias, S. N. (2015). “Analytical Modeling of Masonry-Infilled RC Frames Retrofitted with Textile Reinforced Mortar”, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 19(5), 04014082.