Panayotis C. Yannopoulos was born at Vounargon of Ileias Prefecture (1953). He has the Diploma of the Faculty of Civil Engineers of the National Technical University of Athens (1976) and the Doctorate Degree from the National Technical University of Athens (1985). He was elected Lecturer at the Department of the Civil Engineering of the University of Patras (1989), Assistant Professor (1993), Associate Professor (2008) and Professor (2014) at the above Department. He is Director of the Environmental Engineering Laboratory and responsible for the area of Air Pollution of the Laboratory and he has given consulting in a number of public authorities (ETBA for the Patras Industrial Zone, in the Municipalities of Patras and Pyrgos, in Ileias Prefecture and in the Technical Chamber of Greece / Department of Western Greece and in the Region of Western Greece). He has participated in a number of either Departmental or University committees and he has served as Director of the Division of Environmental Engineering and Transportation (2008-09). Since 2009, he is coordinating the University Network "HYDROCRITES", which aims to perform interdisciplinary research studies, which contribute to the science advancement, as well as to provide integrated scientific services on "rush" issues of the thematic area Energy - Environment and especially in the area of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering.
He has been employed as a Researcher in the Chair of Theoretical and Applied Hydraulics of the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (1979-1981) and at the Hydraulics Laboratory, Chair of Theoretical and Applied Hydraulics of the same School (1985). He has been a Visiting Research Assistant of the Civil Engineering Department of the University of Birmingham (1986-1987). He has been employed as a Researcher at the Division of Water Resources, Hydraulic and Maritime Engineering of the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (1988).
His professional experience has started by his part-time employment at the Technical Division of the Greek Ministry of Public Works (1975-1976) and was continued during his military service at the Hellenic Airforce as a Second Lieutenant in the Maintenance of Airforce Installations (1976-1979). Then, he has conducted free profession in Civil Engineering consulting (1976-1993) and further on as a Technical Examiner of the Technical Chamber of Greece, on Civil Engineering topics (1980). Finally, he has been a Consultant of Public Works in the Category No. 13 "Hydraulic Engineering" with a Certificate for class Β΄ studies (1981-1993).
He is an editor of 4 books (Congress and Abstract Proceedings) and he is the author for 1 monography, 1 book, 18 chapters in books and 6 University teaching books, over than 45 papers in international scientific journals and books and over than 150 technical reports, classroom notes, presentations in scientific conferences with review and proceedings etc. Finally, he was a Principal Investigator of 6 scientific projects with a public financial support, 14 scientific projects of the Environmental Engineering Laboratory without any external economic resources and a team member in 29 scientific projects.
He was awarded as a Visiting Research Assistant at the Civil Engineering Department of the University of Birmingham in Great Britain (1986-1987), as well as for the best Poster presentation in the "First World Conference on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics", Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia, 1988, Eds. R.K. Shah, K.T. Yang and E.N. Ganic, Elsevier, and in the VI International Congress “Water Engineering and Management in a Changing Environment”, European Water Resources Association (EWRA), Catania, Italy, June 29th - July 2nd, 2011, Chair of the Local Organizing Committee Prof. Antonini Cancelliere.
He is a member of International and Hellenic Scientific Committees and Associations, as Technical Chamber of Greece (Τ.Ε.Ε.), Greek Club of Civil Engineers, Hellenic Hydrotechnical Union (Ε.Υ.Ε.), European Water Resources Association (Ε.Ε.Δ.Υ.Π.), Greek Association of Computational Mechanics (ΕΛ.ΕΤ.Υ.Μ.), British Graduates Society (B.G.S.), International Association for Hydraulic Research (I.A.H.R.), Association of University Departments of Environmental Sciences in Europe (auDes), Global Network of Environmental Science and Technology (G.NEST), Joint Specialist Group (JSG) on Marine Outfalls and Coastal Environment (MOCE). He has been President of the Organising Committee of the Hellenic 2nd Common Congress of E.Y.E. and E.E.D.Y.P. 2012, which took place in Patras. He has participated in many organising and scientific committees, as well as in heading and organising Conference Sessions. He is the Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the International Conference “Protection and Restoration of the Environment XV”, which is going to take place in the Conference Center of the ELITE City Resort, 7-10 of July 2020, Kalamata, Greece.
His main research activities are in the areas of Environmental Engineering and Environmental Hydraulics, with emphasis in air and water pollution (transport - diffusion - dispersion of pollutants in the atmospheric and aquatic environments, disposal system design of pollutants, quality measurements, discharge measurement methodologies, water resources optimization in river basins etc.), as well as in air and solid waste and water management. He has collaborated through research projects with scientists of other laboratories of either the Department or other departments and universities.
He is reviewer in many international and national journals and congresses, scientific books and research proposals.
Citations of published scientific work: More than 190 (without including self-citations); h-index = 11; total citations more than 400.
- Bekri E.S., Yannopoulos P.C. & Economou P. (2019). “Methodology for reliability improvement of river discharge measurements”. Journal of Environmental Management 247, 371–384.
- Yannopoulos P.C. & Demetracopoulos A.C. (2018). “A Novel Methodology for Multiple – Year Regulation of Reservoir Active Storage Capacity”. Water, 10(9), 1254; doi: 10.3390/w10091254.
- Bloutsos A.A. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2018). “Curvilinear Coordinate System for Mathematical Analysis of Inclined Buoyant Jets Using the Integral Method”. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Volume 2018, Article ID 3058425, 9 pages, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3058425.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2017). “Unique superposition solution of multiple plumes' flow via mean kinetic energy fluxes”. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE 143(9): 06017015-1-7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE) HY.1943-7900.0001361.
- Podimata M.V. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2017). “A road map for resolving conflicts in dam's administration: The case of Peiros - Parapeiros dam in Greece”. European Water 60: 415-421, 2017.
- Podimata M. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2016). “A conceptual approach to model sand-gravel extraction from rivers based on a game theory perspective”. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 59:1, 120-141, DOI: 10.1080/09640568.2014.991381
- Bekri E.S., Disse M. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2015). “Optimizing water allocation under uncertain system conditions in Alfeios river basin (Greece)-Part A: Two-stage stochastic programming model with deterministic-boundary intervals”. Water 7: 5305-5344; -Part B: Fuzzy-boundary intervals combined with multi-stage stochastic programming model”. Water 7: 6427-6466 .
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2014). “A cost-effective methodology for spatial concentration distributions of urban air pollutants”. Water Air Soil Pollut 225(7): 1-25.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2012). “Unique superposition solutions of multiple plane or round buoyant jets for tracer and buoyancy fluxes”. Journal of Environmental Engineering (ASCE) 138(9): 985–989.
- Yannopoulos P.C. & Bloutsos A.A. (2012). “Escaping Mass Approach for Inclined Plane and Round Buoyant Jets”. J. of Fluid Mech. 695: 81-111.
- Bloutsos A.A. & Yannopoulos P.C. (2011). “Concentrations of Selected Toxic Elements in Airborne Particulates of Patras, Greece”, Global NEST Journal 13(2): 109-118.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2010). “Advanced integral model for groups of interacting round turbulent buoyant jets”. Environ Fluid Mech, 10(4): 415-450.
- Yannopoulos P.C., Demetracopoulos A.C. & Hadjitheodorou Ch. (2008). “Quick Method for Open Channel Discharge Measurements Using Air Bubbles”, Journal of Hydr. Engineering (ASCE), Vol. 134(6): 843-846.
- Yannopoulos P.C. (2006). “An improved integral model for plane and round turbulent buoyant jets”, J. of Fluid Mech. 547: 267-296.