Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Dr. Ierotheos Zacharias was born in Syros (1965). His degrees include: Diploma in Geology (1987) from University of Patras, and Ph.D. in Environmental Oceanography (1992) from the same department. He is Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering since 2017.
Dr. Zacharias was employed as a researcher in National Center for Marine Research (NCMR) Athens (1999-2005), as a Lecturer and as an Assistant Professor (2005-2014) at the University of Ioannina and as an Associate Professor (2014-2017) in the Department of Environmental & Natural Resources Management, at the University of Patras.
He is the author or co-author (Scopus) of 54 articles in refereed international journals, 80 articles in refereed international and national conference proceedings, about 40 technical reports, as well as university notes for the courses he teaches at the University of Patras. He serves or served as the principal investigator of 21 funded research projects in the EU and Greece and a member of the research team in 26 more funded projects. He is the holder of a Patent, he has served as a referee of about 17 journals, and he is a member of international and Greek scientific associations and panels. Citations around 700 & H-index:14.
His research interests are in the areas of environmental technologies, pollution & restoration of inland and coastal waters, numerical models, water resources management & environmental oceanography.
- Zamparas, M., Drosos, M., Georgiou, Y., Deligiannakis, Y., Zacharias, I., (2013). A novel bentonite-humic acid composite material Bephos™ for removal of phosphate and ammonium from eutrophic waters, Chemical Engineering Journal, 225, pp. 43-51.
- Zamparas, M., Zacharias, I., Restoration of eutrophic freshwater by managing internal nutrient loads. A review, (2014). Science of the Total Environment, 496, pp. 551-562.
- Kountoura, K., Zacharias, I., Annual hypoxia dynamics in a semi-enclosed Mediterranean gulf, (2014). Journal of Marine Systems, 139, pp. 320-331.
- Nerantzaki, S.D., Giannakis, G.V., Efstathiou, D., Nikolaidis, N.P., Sibetheros, I.A., Karatzas, G.P., Zacharias, I., Modeling suspended sediment transport and assessing the impacts of climate change in a karstic Mediterranean watershed, (2015). Science of the Total Environment, 538, pp. 288-297.
- Zamparas, M., Drosos, M., Deligiannakis, Y., Zacharias, I., Eutrophication control using a novel bentonite humic-acid composite material Bephos™, (2015). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 3 (4), pp. 3030-3036.
- Moussoulis, E., Mallinis, G., Koutsias, N., Zacharias, I., Modelling surface runoff to evaluate the effects of wildfires in multiple semi-arid, shrubland-dominated catchments, (2015). Hydrological Processes, 29 (20), pp. 4427-4441.
- Zamparas, M., Gavriil, G., Coutelieris, F.A., Zacharias, I., A theoretical and experimental study on the P-adsorption capacity of Phoslock™, (2015), Applied Surface Science, 335, pp. 147-152.
- Nerantzaki, S.D., Giannakis, G.V., Nikolaidis, N.P., Zacharias, I., Karatzas, G.P., Sibetheros, I.A., Assessing the Impact of Climate Change on Sediment Loads in a Large Mediterranean Watershed, (2016), Soil Science, 181 (7), pp. 306-314.
- Vlastos, D., Dailianis, S., Kindou, A., Antonopoulou, M., Gianni, A., Zacharias, I., Assessing the environmental/human risk of potential genotoxicants in water samples from lacustrine ecosystems: The case of lakes in Western Greece, (2017), Science of the Total Environment, 574, pp. 246-252.