Telephone: +30 2610 997630, 6515, 6555
Fax: +30 2610 996577
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Dr Stavros A. Anagnostopoulos was born in Evrytania, Greece. He is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Patras, where he taught undergraduate and graduate courses on Numerical Analysis, Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering in the Civil Engineering Department. He served as elected Head of the Structures Division for 15 years, was the Univ. of Patras Professor in Charge of the European Master’s Degree programs for Earthquake Engineering and/or Engineering Seismology (MEEES), while he also taught in the Greek Open University’s graduate program for Earthquake Engineering. He holds a Diploma in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens and the S.M., CE and Sc.D. degrees in Civil Engineering, from the Massachusetts Inst. of Technology.
Before his election in the University of Patras, he has held the following positions:
- General Director, Institute of Engineering Seismology & Earthquake Engineering, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Research and Senior Research Engineer, Shell Development Co., Houston, Texas
- Research Associate at MIT
He has been active in Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Risk Reduction in Greece and internationally.
His present or past assignments, committee memberships or activities include:
- Former Chief Editor (Europe) of the International Journal “Earthquakes and Structures”, Technopress
- Chief Editor of the International Journal Earthquake and Impact Engineering (Interscience Enterprises Ltd)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal: Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (Elsevier)
- Past member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics (Wiley)
- Past Chairman, Greek State Agency for Seismic Protection (EPPO)
- Vice Chairman, Greek State Agency for Seismic Protection (EPPO)
- Chairman, Greek National Committee for drafting the Earthquake Resistant Design Code
- Greek National representative to the International Association of Earthquake Engineering
- Vice Chairman of the Greek National Association for Earthquake Engineering
- Member of European and Greek panels that drafted EUROCODE 8 and the new Greek code for earthquake resistant design
- Past Greek National representative to the EU for Civil Protection
- Past Greek National representative to the Council of Europe for major natural and technological disasters
- Greek National representative to the EU for the COPERNICUS program
- Member, Greek National Committee for earthquake prediction, seismic risk and protection
- Reviewer of research proposals for the European Commission, the US. National Science Foundation, for various Greek agencies and for Cyprus.
He has published extensively on problems of earthquake engineering, offshore structures and seismic risk mitigation (editor and co-editor of two books and over 150 publications - papers in refereed journals and conference proceedings, technical reports). He has served and serves as principal investigator and coordinator of many Greek and EC sponsored research projects and is also active as a consultant to the Greek State and to various public and private firms-Greek and international-for major projects (Rion –Antirion cable stayed bridge, the LNG storage tanks in Revythousa, Olympic Game facilities, major storage tanks-silos, repair-strengthening of earthquake damaged buildings, etc.). He is also a court appointed expert for the investigation of different important failures (e.g. the bioclimatic roof of the antiquities in Santorini.
SOME RECENT SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos (Co-editor with D.E. Beskos) (1997), "Computer analysis and design of earthquake resistant structures", Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton.
- K.G. Stathopoulos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2003), "Inelastic Earthquake Response of Single Story Asymmetric Buildings: An assessment of Simplified Shear Beam Models" Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 32, pp. 1813-1831.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2004), "Equivalent viscous damping for modelling inelastic impacts in earthquake pounding problems", Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 33, pp. 897-902.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos et al. (2004), "Post earthquake emergency assessment of building safety", Field Manual, Prepared for the European Commission (DG Environment-Civil Protection) and EPPO.
- K.G. Stathopoulos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2005), "Inelastic Torsion of Multistory Buildings under Earthquake Excitations", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 34, pp. 1449-1465.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos and M. Moretti (2008), “Post- earthquake emergency assessment of building damage, safety and usability- Part 1: Organization”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 28, pp. 223-232.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos and M. Moretti (2008), “Post- earthquake emergency assessment of building damage, safety and usability- Part 2: Technical issues” , Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 28, pp. 233-244.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos, C.Providakis, P Salvaneschi, G. Athanasopoulos and G. Bonacina (2008), “Seismocare : an efficient GIS tool for scenario-type investigations of seismic risk of existing cities”,Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering , Vol. 28, pp.73-84.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos and Ch. Karamaneas (2008), “Use of collision shear walls to minimize seismic separation and to protect adjacent buildings from collapse due to earthquake induced pounding”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 37, pp. 1371-1388.
- D. Baros and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2008), “ An assessment of static non-linear pushover analyses in 2-D and 3-D applications, Invited lecture, in Non Linear Static Methods for Design Assessment of 3-D structures, Lisbon, May 2008.
- S. Anagnostopoulos, Ch Alexopoulou and K. Stathopoulos (2010) “ An answer to an important controversy and the need for caution when using simple models to predict inelastic earthquake response of buildings with torsion” , Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 39, pp.521-540.
- K.G. Stathopoulos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2010) “ Accidental design eccentricity: Is it important for the inelastic response of buildings to strong earthquakes?’, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering , Vol. 30, pp 782-797.
- M. T. Kyrkos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2011) “An assessment of code designed, torsionally stiff asymmetric steel buildings under strong earthquake excitations”, Earthquakes and structures, Vol.2, No. 2, pp 109-126
- M. T. Kyrkos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2011) “Improved earthquake resistant design of torsionally stiff asymmetric steel buildings”, Earthquakes and structures Vol.2, No. 2, pp 127-147
- T. A. Antonopoulos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2012) ”Seismic evaluation and upgrading of RC buildings with weak open ground stories”, Earthquakes and Structures, Vol. 3, No 3-4, pp 611-628
- M. T. Kyrkos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2013) “Improved earthquake resistant design of eccentric steel buildings”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering , 47, pp 144-156
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos, M. Kyrkos and K Stathopoulos (2013), “Earthquake induced torsion in buildings: critical review and state of the art, Plenary Keynote Lecture, ASEM13 Congress, Jeju Korea, Sept.
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos, M. T. Kyrkos and K.G. Stathopoulos (2015) “Earthquake induced torsion in buildings: critical review and State of the Art”, Earthquakes and Structures, Vol.8, No. 2, pp 305-377
- S.A. Anagnostopoulos, M. T. Kyrkos, A. Papalymperi and E. Plevri (2015) “ Should accidental eccentricity be eliminated from Eurocode 8? ”, Earthquakes and Structures, Vol.8, No. 2, pp 463-484
- D.K. Baros and S.A. Anagnostopoulos (2017) ,"A new approach for 3-D pushover based analysis of asymmetric buildings: development and initial evaluation", Earthquakes and Structures, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp 543-557