Telephone: +30 2610 996541, 6550
Fax: +30 2610 996576
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Professor Dimitrios K. Atmatzidis was born in Thessaloniki in 1948. He is a graduate of the Department of Civil Engineering of the Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki and holds a Master of Science and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the field of Geotechnical Engineering from the Department of Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, U.S.A. He has been Assistant Professor (1975-1980) and Visiting Professor (1986-1987) at the Department of Civil Engineering, Northwestern University. In 1980 he was elected to the Faculty of the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras where he is Professor and Director of the Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory since 1982.
He has served as Chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering (1982-1986 and 2003-2007), Director of the Geotechnical Engineering and Hydraulic Engineering Division of the Department (for ten academic years), Coordinator and Director of the Graduate Studies Program of the Department (1994-2002), member of the University Graduate Studies Committee (1994-2002), member of the University Technical Council (1996-2002) and member of the General Assembly of the Department of Architectural Engineering (1999-2001).
He has been scientific coordinator and principal investigator for a number of funded research projects (five funded by the G.S.R.T. of the Ministry for Development). During the last years, his research interests have been in the areas of grouting (properties and behavior of grouted soils, development of new cement grouts), geosynthetics (new products development, mechanical and hydraulic properties, applications) and geofoam (basic research on mechanical behavior, geotechnical applications). He has authored or co-authored over 85 publications in journals and conference proceedings.
- Pantazopoulos, I.A., Markou, I.N., Atmatzidis, D.K. and Droudakis, A.I. (2012), “Triaxial Compression Testing of Microfine Cement Grouted Sands, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Grouting and Deep Mixing, New Orleans, U.S.A., (in print).
- Pantazopoulos, I.A. Markou, I.N., Christodoulou, D.N., Droudakis, A.I. Atmatzidis, D.K., Antiohos, S.K. and Chaniotakis, E. (2012), “Development of Microfine Cement Grouts by Pulverizing Ordinary Cements”, Cement and Concrete Composites, Elsevier, Vol.34, pp. 593-603.
- Pantazopoulos, I.A. and Atmatzidis, D.K. (2012), “Dynamic Properties of Microfine Cement Grouted Sands”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Elsevier, Vol. 42, pp. 17-31.
- Atmatzidis, D.K., Chrysikos, D.A., Panagiotidi, E.K. and Skara, M.N. (2006), “On the Measurement of Pore Sizes for Nonwoven Polypropylene Geotextiles”, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Geosynthetics, Yokohama, Japan, Volume 2, pp.553-556.
- Missirlis, E.G., Atmatzidis, D.K. and Chrysikos, D.A. (2004), “Compressive Creep Behavior of EPS Geofoam”, Proceedings of the Third European Geosynthetics Conference, Munich, Germany, Volume ΙΙ , pp. 749-754.