Telephone: +30 2610 996506
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 04 Patras, Greece
Athanasios P. Chassiakos was born in Amphissa (1964). He holds a diploma in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (1988), a M.Sc. (1990) and a Ph.D. degree (1992) in Civil Engineering from the University of Minnesota, U.S.A. He has joined the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of Patras in 1995 as a Lecturer and he is currently serving as an Associate Professor. He is the Director of the Transportation Works Laboratory in the Civil Engineering Department.
He is the author or co-author of two books and over 90 scientific publications in international journals and conference proceedings while he has participated as an invited speaker in international conferences. He has been a researcher or principal investigator in 15 research and technical projects supported by Greek or EU funds.
He is a member of the Editorial Board of the journals Advances in Engineering Software and Smart Infrastructure and Construction as well as of several international conferences. He is member of national and international scientific and professional associations. He has acted as a reviewer in over 20 international journals. He has been awarded for his doctoral dissertation and for published work.
His main research interests are in the areas: construction project management, life-cycle and sustainability analysis of highway projects, information and communication technologies in construction, artificial intelligence methods in construction management, optimization, smart cities, infrastructure and construction, smart grid modelling/optimization, energy management and mobility, building information modelling (BIM) and digital twins, nanomaterial in asphalt pavements, dynamic analysis of highway pavements under moving loads, safety management in construction.
- Chassiakos A.P. and Rempis, G. (2019). “Evolutionary algorithm performance evaluation in project time-cost optimization”. Journal of Soft Computing in Civil Engineering, 3-2, pp. 16-29.
- Tsoukalis F.C. and Chassiakos A.P (2019). “Building Information Modeling (BIM) for Safety Risk Identification in Construction Projects”. Proceedings of the Creative Construction Conference, Budapest, Hungary.
- Chassiakos A.P. and Karatzas S. (2019). “Process Centric Building Energy Management-as-a-Service”. Proceedings of the International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction (ICSIC) 2019, Cambridge University.
- Papadimitropoulos V., Karatzas S., and Chassiakos P. (2018). “Applications of Nanomaterials in Pavement Engineering: A Review”. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-10), Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Chassiakos A., Karatzas S., Farmakis P. (2018). “BIM and Lean-Business Process Reengineering for Energy Management Optimization of Existing Buildings”. Proceedings of the 35th CIB W78 Conference: IT in Design, Construction, and Management, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Farmakis, P.M. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2017). “Genetic algorithm optimization for dynamic construction site layout planning”. Organization, Technology and Management in Construction 9, pp. 1–10.
- Sotiropoulou, M.I, Moschonas, N. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2016). “Life-cycle impact assessment of highway pavements for supporting maintenance and rehabilitation decisions”, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Papadaki, I. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2016). “Multi-objective construction site layout planning using genetic algorithms”, Procedia Engineering 164, 20-27.
- Kaiafa, S. and Chassiakos, A.P., (2015). “A genetic algorithm for optimal resource-driven project scheduling”, Procedia Engineering 123, 260-267.
- Chassiakos, A.P., Konstantinou, E. and Moschonas, N. (2013). “Optimizing the impact of pavement maintenance decisions on road network sustainability”, Civil and Structural Engineering Computation Methods, Saxe-Coburg Publications, Chapter 4, pp. 61-87.
- Panagopoulou M. and Chassiakos A.P. (2012). “Optimization model for pavement maintenance planning and resource allocation”, Transportation Research E-Circular, E-C163, pp 25-38.
- Patrinou A.G. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2010). “Development of a risk assessment system for construction projects”, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Engineering Computational Technology, Valencia, Spain, paper 90.
- Chassiakos, A.P., and Sakellaropoulos, S.P. (2008). “A web-based system for managing construction information”, Advances in Engineering Software, 39, pp. 865-876.
- Chassiakos, A.P. (2007). “The use of information and communication technologies in construction”, Civil Engineering Computations: Tools and Techniques, Saxe-Coburg Publications, Chapter 5, pp. 79-104.
- Chassiakos, A.P. (2006). “Longest path time-cost analysis of construction projects with generalised activity constraints”, Operational Research. An International Journal, 6 (3), pp 271-281.
- Chassiakos, A.P., and Sakellaropoulos, S.P. (2005). “Time-cost optimization of construction projects with generalized activity constraints”, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 131 (10), pp.1115-1124.
- Chassiakos, A.P., Panagolia, C. and Theodorakopoulos, D.D. (2005). “Development of a decision support system for managing highway safety”, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 131 (5), pp. 364-373.
- Theodorakopoulos, D.D., Chassiakos, A.P. and Beskos, D.E. (2004). “Dynamic effects of moving load on a poroelastic soil medium by an approximate method”, International Journal of Solids and Structures 41 (7), pp. 1801-1822.
- Sakellaropoulos, S.P. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2003). “An integrated information management system for the construction industry”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction, Rome, Italy.
- Chassiakos, A.P. (2001). “Information Management for the Construction Industry: A Review”, Civil and Structural Engineering Computing, Saxe-Coburg Publications, pp. 55-82.
- Chassiakos, A.P., Samaras, C.I. and Theodorakopoulos, D.D. (2000). “An Integer Programming Method for CPM Time-Cost Analysis”, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences 1 (4), pp. 9-18.
- Chassiakos, A.P., Samaras, C.I. and Theodorakopoulos, D.D. (1998). “An Algorithm for Determining the Optimal Duration of Large Projects”, Advances in Civil and Structural Engineering Computing for Practice, Civil-Comp Press, 449-454.
- Stephanedes, Y.J. and Chassiakos, A.P. (1993). “Application of Filtering Techniques for Incident Detection”, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering 119 (1), pp. 13-26.
- Chassiakos, A.P. and Stephanedes, Y.J. (1993). “Smoothing Algorithms for Incident Detection”, Transportation Research Record 1394, pp. 8-16.
- Stephanedes, Y.J., Chassiakos, A.P. and Michalopoulos, P.G. (1992). “Comparative Performance Evaluation of Incident Detection Algorithms”, Transportation Research Record 1360, pp. 50-57