Telephone: 2610 996518, 6599
Fax: 2610 996572
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Dr. Athanassios A. Dimas was born in Athens (1963). His degrees include: Diploma in Naval Architecture and Mechanical Engineering (1985) from the National Technical University of Athens, and M.Sc. in Ocean Engineering (1988), M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (1988) and Ph.D. in Ocean Engineering (1991) all from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Since 2013, he is a Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras. Dr. Dimas was employed as a post-doctoral research associate (1991-1994) in the Levich Institute at the City College of New York, as an assistant professor (1994-2001) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland and as an assistant professor (2002-2008) and an associate professor (2008-2013) in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras.
He is the author or co-author (Google Scholar profile
) of 30 articles in refereed international journals and books, 94 articles in refereed international and national conference proceedings, about 20 conference abstracts, about 40 technical reports, as well as university notes for the courses he teaches at the University of Patras. He serves or served as the principal investigator of 27 funded research projects in the USA and Greece and a member of the research team in 13 more funded projects. He was awarded the Offshore Mechanics Prize (1991) by the Offshore Mechanics and Polar Engineering Council. He is the holder of an International Patent (U.S. Pat. No. 6512999, 2003), he has served as a referee of about 50 journal and proceedings articles, and he is a member of international and Greek scientific associations and panels.
His research interests are in the areas of Coastal Hydraulics, Free-Surface Flow, Breaking Waves, Numerical and Theoretical Fluid Mechanics.
View here the CV
of Athanassios (Thanasis) Dimas.
- Dimas, A.A. and Koutrouveli, Th.I., 2019. Wave height dissipation and undertow of spilling breakers over beach of varying slope. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering (ASCE), in press.
- Dimas, A.A. and Leftheriotis, G.A., 2018. Mobility parameter and sand grain size effect on sediment transport over vortex ripples in the orbital regime. Journal of Geophysical Research – Earth Surface, accepted.
- Koutrouveli, Th.I., Dimas, A.A., Fourniotis, N.Th., and Demetracopoulos, A.C., 2018. Groyne spacing role on the effective control of wall shear stress in open-channel flow. Journal of Hydraulic Research, in press.
- Monsorno, D., Dimas, A.A., and Papalexandris, M.V., 2018. Time-accurate calculation of two-phase granular flows exhibiting compaction, dilatancy and nonlinear rheology. Journal of Computational Physics 372, 799-822.
- Kolokythas, G.A., Grigoriadis, D.G.E., and Dimas A.A., 2018. Dynamic friction angle/ coefficient in formulas of bed load transport induced by waves over ripples. Journal of Coastal Research, 34(4), 996-1008.
- Dimas, A.A., and Galani, K.A., 2016. Turbulent flow induced by regular and irregular waves above a steep rock-armored slope. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering (ASCE), 142, 04016004.
- Kolokythas, G.A., Leftheriotis, G.A. and Dimas A.A., 2014. Numerical Simulation of Coastal Flow and Sediment Transport Over Rippled Beds. ERCOFTAC Bulletin 100, 1-9.
- Grigoriadis, D.G.E., Balaras, E. and Dimas, A.A., 2013. Coherent Structures in Oscillating Turbulent Boundary Layers Over a Fixed Rippled Bed. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 91(3), 565-585.
- Dimas A.A. and Vouros, A., 2012. Effect of cross-flow velocity at forebay on swirl in pump suction pipe: Hydraulic model of seawater intake at Aliveri power plant in Greece. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE) 138, 812-816.
- Grigoriadis, D.G.E., Dimas, A.A. and Balaras, E., 2012. Large-Eddy Simulation of Wave Turbulent Boundary Layer over Rippled Bed. Coastal Engineering 60, 174-189.
- Dimakopoulos, A.S. and Dimas, A.A., 2011. Large-wave Simulation of Three-Dimensional, Cross-Shore and Oblique, Spilling Breaking on Constant Slope Beach. Coastal Engineering 58, 790-801.
- Dimas, A.A. and Kolokythas, G.A., 2011. Flow Dynamics and Forces on Ripples Induced by Viscous Wave Propagation Over Rippled Bed. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering (ASCE) 137, 64-74.
- Dimas, A.A. and Dimakopoulos, A.S. 2009. A Surface-Roller Model for the Numerical Simulation of Spilling Wave Breaking Over Constant Slope Beach. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering (ASCE) 135, 235-244.