Telephone: +30 2610 996562, 6563
Fax: +30 2610 996578
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 265 00 Patras, Greece
Dr. Apostolos S. Papageorgiou joined the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras as a Professor in September 2004.
He started his academic career as an Assistant Professor at Rensselaer, Troy N.Y. in September 1983. He was promoted to Associate Professor (with tenure) in the spring of 1990. He subsequently joined the State University of New York (S.U.N.Y.) at Buffalo in January 1999 as a Full Professor (with tenure) where he taught until August 2004. He has taught at the Seoul National University (2011-2012), Seoul, Korea, and at the ROSE School (http://www.roseschool.it/teachers/show/id/44
), University of Pavia, Italy. He has also been a visiting scientist at Princeton University and at the U.S. Geological Survey, Pasadena, CA.
- Ph.D., CivilEngineering (EarthquakeEng. &Eng. Seismology), M.I.T., 1981
- M.Sc., CivilEngineering(Structural Engineering), M.I.T., 1978
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering (Engineering Mechanics), M.I.T., 1978
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering), M.I.T., 1976
His areas of expertise are Engineering Seismology, Earthquake Engineering, and Structural Dynamics.
- Engineering Seismology (Source Mechanics, Simulation of Strong Ground Motion, Seismic Wave Propagation in Realistic Media)
- Earthquake Engineering (Structural Identification)
- Structural Dynamics (Stochastic Structural Dynamics)
- Meza Fajardo, K.C. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2012). “Study of the Accuracy of the Multi-axial Perfectly Matched Layer for the Elastic Wave Equation”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.102, No.6, pp.2458-2467.
- Halldorsson, B. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2012). Variations of the Specific Barrier Model – Part II: Effect of Isochron Distributions, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering10, pp.1321-1337.
- Halldorsson, B. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2012). Variations of the Specific Barrier Model – Part I: Effects of Subevent Size Distributions, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering10, pp.1299-1319.
- Halldorsson, B., G.P. Mavroeidis and A.S. Papageorgiou (2011).“Near-Fault and Far-Field Strong Ground Motion Simulation for Earthquake Engineering Applications Using the Specific Barrier Model”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE,Vol.137, No.3, pp.433-444.
- Mavroeidis, G.P. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2010). “Effect of Fault Rupture Characteristics on Near-Fault Strong Ground Motions”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 100, No. 1, pp. 37–58.
- Zhang, F. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2010).“Attenuation Characteristics of Taiwan: Estimation of Coda Q, S-wave Q, Scattering Q, Intrinsic Q, and Scattering Coefficient”, Seismological Research Letters, Vol. 81, No. 5, 769-777.
- Dong, G. and A.S. Papageorgiou (2003). “On a New Class of Kinematic Models: Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Circular and Elliptical Cracks”, Physics of Earth and Planetary Interiors, Vol.137, pp. 129-151.