Dimitrios E. Beskos was born in Athens, Greece (1946). He obtained his diploma in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens in 1969 and his MSc and PhD from Cornell University, USA, in 1971 and 1973, respectively, both in Structural Mechanics. After serving as Lecturer at Cornell University, USA, for a year (1973-74), he joined the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of Minnesota, USA, as a full-time faculty member until 1981, and as a Visiting Professor until 1984. In 1981 he was elected Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of Patras, Greece, where he still serves. He has also served as Visiting Professor at the Departments of Civil Engineering of the Colorado State University, USA, (1985-86), and the University of Minnesota, USA (1989). D. Beskos’s research work is in the field of Structural Mechanics, Numerical Analysis Methods, with emphasis in Boundary Elements Methods, Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Design of Steel Structures.
He has authored more than 430 publications (172 in refereed journals), has written 28 books (20 of them in English) and has over 2000 citations by others with h=25. He is Co-Editor-in-chief of “Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering”, Past Associate Editor of “Computational Mechanics” and “Applied Mechanics Reviews” and member of the Editorial Board of another 10 international journals. He is also Co-Editor in the series of books on Earthquake Engineering published by WIT Press of Southampton. He is a Fellow of ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineering), IACM (International Association of Computational Mechanics), of New York Academy of Science and of Wessex Institute of Great Britain. He is also a member of the Academia Europaea, the European Academy of Science and Arts and the Congress Committee of IUTAM (International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics). He is also the President of the HSTAM (Hellenic Society for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics), Past President of the MSRS (Metal Structures Research Society of Greece) and has served as the first President of GRACM (Greek Association of Computational Mechanics). He is a registered Civil Engineer both in Greece and the State of Minnesota, USA, with consulting activities in the fields of Computational Analysis and Design of Structures, particularly Steel Structures, and Dynamic Soil-Structure Interaction.
- G.D. Manolis and D.E. Beskos, Boundary Element Methods in Elastodynamics, Unwin-Hyman, London, 1988.
- D.E. Beskos, Boundary element methods in dynamic analysis: Part II (1986-1996), Applied Mechanics Reviews, 50, 149-197, 1997.
- D.E. Beskos and S.A. Anagnostopoulos, Editors, Computer Analysis and Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures: A Handbook, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, 1997.
- C.P. Providakis and D.E. Beskos, Dynamic analysis of plates by boundary elements, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 52, 213-236, 1999.
- D.E. Beskos, D.L. Karabalis and A.N. Kounadis, Editors, Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on Steel Structures, Typorama, Patras, 2002.
- D.E. Beskos and G. Maier, Editors, Boundary Element Advances in Solid Mechanics, Springer, Wien, 2003.