Professor Emeritus, Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece. He is Honorary President of the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), having served as its President in 2009-10, Deputy President in 2007-08 and Presidium Member 2002-12. He is Vice Chairman of CEN/TC250: “Structural Eurocodes” (2013-2022) and Director, International Association of Earthquake Engineering (IAEE) (2012-2021). Editor of “Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics”, the top ranking journal in Structural or Earthquake Engineering. He holds
MSc degrees in Civil Engineering (1977) and Nuclear Engineering (1978) and a PhD in Structural Engineering (1979), all from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he taught at the Civil Engineering Department to the rank of Associate Professor. As chairman of the CEN sub-committee CEN/TC250/SC8 for Eurocode 8: “Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance” (1999-2005), he led the development of its six parts into European Standards. He is Editorial Board Member of “Structural Concrete”. He served as Associate Editor of “Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering” from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2015 as Editorial Board Member of the same journal till Dec. 2014, and as Editorial Board Member of “Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics”, “Earthquake Spectra”, “Journal of Earthquake Engineering” and “Earthquakes and Structures” till Dec. 2015. He was Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the 3rd fib Congress, in Washington DC, June 2010 and the fib Symposium “Concrete: 21st Century Superhero – Building a Sustainable Future”, in London, June 2009 and of the Organising Committee of the fib Symposium “Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions”, in Athens, May 2003.
He authored “Seismic Design, Assessment and Retrofitting of Concrete Buildings” (Springer, 2009), is the lead author of “Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings per Eurocode 8″ (Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2015) and of “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-1 and EN1998-5: Eurocode 8- Seismic actions, buildings, foundations & retaining structures” (ICE Publishing 2005, 2011, published in Italian by EPC Editore, 2011, in Greek by Kleidarithmos, 2011 and in Russian by MΓCY, 2013), co-author of “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-2: Eurocode 8-Bridges” (ICE Publishing 2012) and author or co-author of 32 Chapters in international books. He is the editor or co-editor of four books published by Springer from 2010 to 2013. He has about 250 papers in international journals or conference proceedings (among them 38 keynote or invited lectures), about 9900 citations in Google Scholar and about 4450 in Scopus. He received the 1993 Wason Medal of the American Concrete Institute for the best paper in materials.
He co-ordinated the European Community’s research projects “Seismic Performance Assessment & Rehabilitation – SPEAR” (2001-05, 1,344,442 €), “Advanced Centre of Excellence in Structural & Earthquake Engineering – ACES” (2008-12, 1,100,000 €) and “Seismic Engineering Research Infrastructures for European Synergies – SERIES” (2009-13, 8,700,000 €).
View here the CV of Michael Fardis
1. M.N. FARDIS and G. TSIONIS, Eigenvalues and modes of distributed-mass symmetric
multispan bridges with restrained ends for seismic response analysis, Engineering
Structures, 2013, 51, 141-149.
2. M.N. FARDIS, Performance- and displacement-based seismic design and assessment of
concrete structures in the Model Code 2010. Structural Concrete, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2013, 215-
229, DOI 10.1002/suco.201300001.
3. D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Stiffness and Cyclic Deformation Capacity of Circular RC
Columns with or without Lap-Splices and FRP Wrapping, Bulletin of Earthquake
Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, Oct. 2013, 1447-1466, DOI 10.1007/s10518-013-9442-7.
4. M.N. FARDIS, A. SCHETAKIS and E. STREPELIAS, RC buildings retrofitted by converting
frame bays into RC walls, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, 2013, No. 5, 1541-
1561, DOI 10.1007/s10518-013-9435-6.
5. E. STREPELIAS, X. PALIOS, S.N. BOUSIAS and M.N. FARDIS, Experimental investigation
of concrete frames infilled with RC for seismic rehabilitation, Journal of Structural
Engineering, ASCE, 2013, Vol. 139, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000817.
6. D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Models for FRP-wrapped rectangular RC columns with
continuous or lap-spliced bars under cyclic lateral loading, Engineering Structures, 2013,
Vol. 57, Dec. 2013, pp.199–212, DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.021.
7. F. KARANTONI, G. TSIONIS, F. LYRANTZAKI and M.N. FARDIS, Seismic fragility of
regular masonry buildings for in-plane and out-of-plane failure, Earthquakes and Structures,
Vol. 6 (6) 2014 pp.:689-713.
8. K. ANTONIOU, G. TSIONIS and M.N. FARDIS, Inelastic shears in ductile RC walls of midrise
wall-frame buildings and comparison to Eurocode 8, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering
March 2015, Vol. 13(3), pp 841-869.
9. E. LIOSSATOU and M.N. FARDIS, Residual displacements of RC Structures as SDOF
Systems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, April 2015, Vol. 44(4), pp.713-
10. M.N. FARDIS and D.E. BISKINIS, Transnational Access to European Seismic Research
Facilities, Structures and Buildings, Nov. 2015, Special Issue: Timber Buildings (in print).
11. M.N. FARDIS, E. LIOSSATOU and A.J. KOSMOPOULOS, Analysis of First Building
Retrofitted to EN-Eurocode 8 vs. Performance under Near-Design-Level Earthquake,
Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering DOI: 10.1007/s10518-015-9740-3 Vol. 13(9),
September 2015, pp 2567-2590
12. S. GRAMMATIKOU, D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Strength, Deformation Capacity and
Failure Mode of RC Walls under Cyclic Loading, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering. DOI
10.1007_s10518-015-9762-x. Vol. 13(11), November 2015), pp 3277-3300
13. M.N. FARDIS, Uplift of deck or footings in bridges with distributed mass subjected to
transverse earthquake, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI:
10.1002/eqe.2607 (On line, August 11, 2015)
14. N. STATHAS, S. SKAFIDA, S.N. BOUSIAS, M.N. FARDIS, S. DIGENIS, X. PALIOS Hybrid
Simulation of Bridge Pier, Uplifting Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2015 (in print)
15. S. GRAMMATIKOU, D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS, Ultimate strain criteria for RC
members in monotonic or cyclic flexure. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 2015
16. E. LIOSSATOU and M.N. FARDIS, Near-fault effects on residual displacements of RC
structures. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2015 (accepted with
17. D.E. BISKINIS, M.N. FARDIS and A. ANDRIOPOULOS-PSAROS, Strength, stiffness and
cyclic deformation capacity of RC frames converted into walls by infilling with RC. Bulletin of
Earthquake Engineering, 2015 (accepted).