Professor Emeritus, Civil Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece. He is Honorary President of the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), having served as fib President (2009-10), Deputy President (2007-08) and Presidium Member (2002-12). He is Honorary Member of the International Association of Earthquake Engineering (IAEE), having served as IAEE Director (2012-2021). Since 2013 he is Vice Chairman of CEN/TC250: “Structural Eurocodes” and since 2016 Editor of “Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics”, the top ranking journal in Earthquake Engineering. He is Corresponding Member of the Mexican Academy of Engineering. He holds MSc degrees in Civil Engineering (1977) and Nuclear Engineering (1978) and a PhD in Structural Engineering (1979), all from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he taught at the Civil Engineering Department to the rank of Associate Professor till 1983.
As chairman of the CEN sub-committee CEN/TC250/SC8 for Eurocode 8: “Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance” (1999-2005), he led the development of its six parts into European Standards. He is Editorial Board Member of “Structural Concrete”. Before assuming the responsibilities of Editor of “Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics”, he has served as Associate Editor of “Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering” and as Editorial Board Member of those two journals, as well as of “Earthquake Spectra”, “Journal of Earthquake Engineering” and “Earthquakes and Structures”. He chaired the Scientific Committees of the 3rd fib Congress, in Washington DC (2010) and the fib Symposium “Concrete: 21st Century Superhero – Building a Sustainable Future”, in London (2009) and the Organizing Committee of the fib Symposium “Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions”, in Athens (2003).
He is author of “Seismic Design, Assessment and Retrofitting of Concrete Buildings” (Springer, 2009), lead author of “Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings per Eurocode 8″ (Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2015) and “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-1 and EN1998-5: Eurocode 8-Seismic actions, buildings, foundations & retaining structures” (ICE Publishing 2005, 2011, published in Italian by EPC Editore, 2011, in Greek by Kleidarithmos, 2011 and Russian by MΓCY, 2013), coauthor of “Designers’ Guide to EN1998-2: Eurocode 8-Bridges” (ICE Publishing 2012) and author or co-author of about 35 Chapters in international books. He is the editor or co-editor of four books published by Springer from 2010 to 2013. He has about 100 papers in international journals and about 160 in international conference proceedings (among them about keynote or invited lectures). His publications have over 10,200 citations listed in Google Scholar and over 4700 in Scopus (with an h-index of 32). He received the 1993 Wason Medal of the American Concrete Institute for the best paper in materials.
He has co-ordinated the European Community’s research projects “Seismic PerformanceAssessment & Rehabilitation – SPEAR” (2001-05, 1,344,442 €), “Advanced Centre of Excellence in Structural & Earthquake Engineering – ACES” (2008-12, 1,100,000 €) and “Seismic Engineering Research Infrastructures for European Synergies – SERIES” (2009-13, 8,700,000 €).
View here the CV of Fardis.
Journal Papers of last three years
1. S. GRAMMATIKOU, M.N. FARDIS and D.E. BISKINIS Energy dissipation models for RC members and structures. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 48(3), March 2019. p. 287-305.
2. N. STATHAS, I. KARAKASIS, E. STREPELIAS, X. PALIOS, S. BOUSIAS and M.N.FARDIS Tests and analysis of RC building, with or without masonry infills, for instant column loss. Engineering Structures Vol. 193, 2019, 57-67.
3. D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS Cyclic shear resistance for seismic design, based on monotonic shear models in fib Model Code 2010 and in the 2018 draft of Eurocode 2.Structural Concrete, Vol. 21(1), Feb. 2020, 129-150.
4. D.E. BISKINIS and M.N. FARDIS Cyclic shear resistance model for Eurocode 8 consistent with the second-generation Eurocode 2. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 18(6), Apr. 2020, p. 2891-2915.
5. X. PALIOS, E. STREPELIAS, N. STATHAS, M.N. FARDIS, S. BOUSIAS, C.Z. CHRYSOSTOMOU and N. KYRIAKIDES Three-story, two-bay concrete frames with plain bars under cyclic lateral loading Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 18(13), Oct. 2020, p. 5859 – 5884
6. M.N. FARDIS A Levels-of-Approximation approach to seismic design or assessment of beam-column joints in shear. Structural Concrete, Vol. 22(3), June 2021, p. 1259-1284.
7. M.N. FARDIS Shear strength model for RC joints, consistent with the shear design rules for prismatic members in the second-generation Eurocodes. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 19(2), Febr. 2021, p. 889-917.
8. M.N. FARDIS Multispan bridges with distributed deck and pier mass and pier-flexuredeck-torsion coupling under transverse excitation – Analytical solution, parametric studies, design implications. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. Vol. 50(14) Dec. 2021. p.3713-3740.
9. M.N. FARDIS Flat slabs as primary seismic elements in second-generation Eurocode 8. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering (in press), 2021.
10. S. GRAMMATIKOU, M.N. FARDIS and D.E. BISKINIS Energy dissipation in reinforced concrete members before and after yielding. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, (On line, Jan. 2022). DOI: 10.1002/eqe.3600.