Tel: 2610 996 582
Vagelis G. Papadakis was born in Elika, Lakonia, Greece (1964). He holds a Diploma in Chemical Engineering from the University of Patras (1986) and a PhD from the same University (1990) in the subject of carbonation and durability of concrete. He has 30 years of experience in scientific and applied projects of physico-chemical processes & environment, sustainability, durability of constructions and by-product utilization, has authored several articles in international scientific journals and has been honored by the American Concrete Institute (ACI) with the Wason Medal International Award for Materials Research.
He worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow – Researcher at the University of Patras and the Research Institute of Chemical Engineering & High Temperature Chemical Processes (1992-1996), as a Researcher at the Danish Technological Institute, Building Division (DTI, 1997-1998) on the use of by-products in concrete (Marie Curie Grant), as Head of the Concrete Technology Laboratory, of the Research and Quality Department of TITAN Cement SA (1999-2000), as a lecturer at the Universities of Patras and Ioannina (2000-2007) and as a private Business Consultant, collaborating with the Patras Science Park (2000-2007). In 2007 he was elected Associate Professor, and in 2015 Professor at the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management, then the Department of Environmental Engineering of the University of Patras, in the field of Physical and Chemical Environmental Processes, Durability & Sustainability of Constructions, where he taught the courses “Physical Processes”, “Techno-Economic Study” & “Environmental Impact Studies”. Today (from Sept. 2022), he is a Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of Patras in the same subject, where he teaches the course “Principles of Sustainable Construction”.
He was the National Representative in the Programme Committee of the 7th Framework Program (FP7) for Research in the European Union – Special Program “CAPACITIES”. He has participated as an expert evaluator in Research Programs: Horizon Europe, H2020, FP7, CIP-EIP ECO-INNOVATION of the European Union, FWO of Belgium, QNRF Qatar, GSRT, etc., while he is also active in the field of development, promotion and exploitation of innovation (as Coach: SME Instrument- H2020, European Innovation Council).
His research interests focus on concrete technology and durability, environmental impacts on buildings and structures, extensive use of industrial by-products, CO2 sequestration in concrete, environmental cost and life cycle analysis, and related software development.
View here the full CV of V.G. Papadakis
- Jeong, J., Abel Shiferaw Alemu, Solmoi Park, Hyo Kyoung Lee, Gebremicael Liyew, H. Ramézani, V.G. Papadakis, and Hyeong-Ki Kim, “Phase profiling of carbonation-cured cement paste: QXRD analysis and numerical validation”, Case Studies in Construction Materials, 16, e00890 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscm.2022.e00890
- Demis, S. and V.G. Papadakis, “Particularities of the hot desert climate of the Arabian Peninsula on the durability of reinforced concrete structures – A case study”, Construction and Building Materials, 306, 124813 (2021) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.124813
- Jeong, J., H. Ramézani, V.G. Papadakis, Y. Colin, and L. Izoret, “On CO2 sequestration in concrete aggregate via carbonation: simulation and experimental verification”, European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, (2021) https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2021.1928555
- Demis, S. and V.G. Papadakis, “Durability design process of reinforced concrete structures – Service life estimation, problems and perspectives”, Journal of Building Engineering, 26, 100876 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2019.100876
- Rezagholilou, A., G. Papadakis, and H. Nikraz, “Rate of carbonation in cement modified base course material”, Construction and Building Materials, 150, 646-652 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.05.226