1. Bridge elements and design principles
2. Design actions on bridges: traffic and seismic actions
3. Deck types: prefabricated girders, slab on fixed formwork, balanced cantilevers with prefabricated or cast-in-place segments, incremental launch
4. Design of piers and abutments, capacity design of piers and their components according to Eurocode 8
5. Introduction – Basic principles of prestressed concrete
6. Materials, Types of prestressing, prestressing systems.
7. Prestressing losses (immediate and long term).
8. Analysis of prestressed structures.
9. Design for Serviceability Limit State
10. Design for Ultimate Limit State.
11. Synthesis of prestressed structures (selection of cross-section, determination of prestressing force, analysis employing the equivalent loading method, selection of tendon profile).
12. Detailing of anchorage regions.
DESIGN OF CONCRETE BRIDGES
|LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION and EXAMINATIONS||
|By the end of this course the student will have knowledge of:
1. Bridge Categories
2. Static systems and structural parts of bridges
3. Construction methods
4. Principles of bridge design
5. Code frame for bridge design
6. Design actions for bridges
7. Modelling and analysis approaches
8. Design methods for bridge surepstructure and substructure
9. Seismic design and seismic isolation of bridges
10. Prestress concept
11. Materials and requirements for the selection of the prestressing system
12. Calculation of the prestress forces and losses
13. Design methodology of prestressed bridges at ULS and SLS
14. Detailing of the prestress anchorage regions
Also, by the end of this course the students will be able to:
1. Compose and design bridges
2. Apply design forces according to Eurocodes
3. Design bridge superstructure and substructure according to Eurocodes
4. Select prestressing system and perform relevant calculations and checks