The course is an introduction to Geodesy adapted to the needs of Civil Engineering. It covers basic aspects of Surveying: familiarization with topographic instruments and measurement techniques, topographic surveys, topographic diagrams at scales of common engineering projects, the understanding of the topography and techniques for quantification of its changes, especially for Road Construction etc and other similar activities, measurement errors, their characteristics and techniques for their minimization. Reference to various activities of Civil Engineering (geotechnical and hydraulic works, conventional and special structures, Archaeology etc.
Successful attendance of this course permits to the student
(1) To be able to use various basic geodetic instruments, understand their applications, potential, errors and limitations
(2) Understand the characteristics of the space of a future engineering project (building, transportation, hydraulic, etc., on the ground surface or underground) and quantify changes expected in the relief
(3) Plan and conduct basic surveying works for a site or an object, (an ancient monument for example) selecting suitable instruments and techniques
(4) Evaluate previous surveying work (for example for a site plan)
(5) Summarize and present results of a surveying project in a Technical Report