Dr. Zacharias was employed as a researcher in National Center for Marine Research (NCMR) Athens (1999-2005), as a Lecturer and as an Assistant Professor (2005-2014) at the University of Ioannina and as an Associate Professor (2014-2017) in the Department of Environmental & Natural Resources Management, at the University of Patras. He was also Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering (2017-2019) and since 2019 he is Professor in Environmental Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering.
He is the author or co-author of 57 articles (Scopus) in refereed international journals, 85 articles in refereed international and national conference proceedings, about 40 technical reports, as well as university notes for the courses he teaches at the University of Patras. He serves or served as the principal investigator of 22 funded research projects in the EU and Greece and a member of the research team in 26 more funded projects. He is the holder of a Patent, he has served as a referee of about 17 journals, and he is a member of international and Greek scientific associations and panels. Citations around 1.300 & H-index:19 (Scopus).
His research interests are in the areas of environmental technologies, monitoring, pollution & restoration of inland and coastal waters, hydrodynamic and ecological numerical models and water resources management.
- Vlastos, D., Dailianis, S., Kindou, A., Antonopoulou, M., Gianni, A., Zacharias, I., Assessing the environmental/human risk of potential genotoxicants in water samples from lacustrine ecosystems: The case of lakes in Western Greece, (2017), Science of the Total Environment, 574, pp. 246-252.
- Nerantzaki, S.D., Giannakis, G.V., Nikolaidis, N.P., Zacharias, I., Karatzas, G.P., Sibetheros, I.A., Assessing the Impact of Climate Change on Sediment Loads in a Large Mediterranean Watershed, (2016), Soil Science, 181 (7), pp. 306-314.
- Zamparas, M., Gavriil, G., Coutelieris, F.A., Zacharias, I., A theoretical and experimental study on the P-adsorption capacity of Phoslock™, (2015), Applied Surface Science, 335, pp. 147-152.
- Moussoulis, E., Mallinis, G., Koutsias, N., Zacharias, I., Modelling surface runoff to evaluate the effects of wildfires in multiple semi-arid, shrubland-dominated catchments, (2015). Hydrological Processes, 29 (20), pp. 4427-4441.
- Zamparas, M., Drosos, M., Deligiannakis, Y., Zacharias, I., Eutrophication control using a novel bentonite humic-acid composite material Bephos™, (2015). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 3 (4), pp. 3030-3036.
- Nerantzaki, S.D., Giannakis, G.V., Efstathiou, D., Nikolaidis, N.P., Sibetheros, I.A., Karatzas, G.P., Zacharias, I., Modeling suspended sediment transport and assessing the impacts of climate change in a karstic Mediterranean watershed, (2015). Science of the Total Environment, 538, pp. 288-297.
- Kountoura, K., Zacharias, I., Annual hypoxia dynamics in a semi-enclosed Mediterranean gulf, (2014). Journal of Marine Systems, 139, pp. 320-331.
- Zamparas, M., Zacharias, I., Restoration of eutrophic freshwater by managing internal nutrient loads. A review, (2014). Science of the Total Environment, 496, pp. 551-562.
- Zamparas, M., Drosos, M., Georgiou, Y., Deligiannakis, Y., Zacharias, I., (2013). A novel bentonite-humic acid composite material Bephos™ for removal of phosphate and ammonium from eutrophic waters, Chemical Engineering Journal, 225, pp. 43-51.