2610 996517, 6599
Born in Chalkis (1951). He is a graduate of the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of Thessaloniki. He pursued postgraduate studies at the University of Karlsruhe, Germany, and got his Dr.-Ing. degree from the University of Stuttgart, Germany. Since 2002 he is Professor of Water Resources Engineering – Hydrology in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras.
During the years 1979 – 1984 he served as a Researcher at the University of Karlsruhe and at the Environmental Protection Agency of Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany, where he worked on problems of surface water – groundwater interaction. During the years 1985 – 1989 he was a Researcher in the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering of the University of Stuttgart, where he worked on problems of groundwater contamination, groundwater sampling as well as on problems of groundwater and soil remediation. In summer 1989 he was appointed an Assistant Professor position in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras.
His main research interests (Google Scholar profile) include, but are not limited to, groundwater problems and, particularly, the simulation of flow and transport processes in aquifers and in the unsaturated zone, as well as the impact of climate change on river basin hydrology. He had the scientific responsibility of several research projects funded by the European Union. He has been several times Visiting Professor at the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Stuttgart during the years 1990-1996. He is member of Greek and international scientific organizations. During the years 1997-2001 he was a member of the editorial board of Journal of Hydrology.
View here the CV of Vasilios Kaleris.
- Langousis, A. and V. Kaleris (2013) Theoretical framework to estimate spatial rainfall averages conditional on river discharges and point rainfall measurements from a single location: an application to western Greece, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 17, 1241-1263, doi:10.5194/hess-17-1241-2013.
- Kaleris, V.K. & A.I. Ziogas, 2013: The effect of sluice-type cut-off walls on saltwater intrusion and groundwater extraction in coastal aquifers. Journal of Hydrology, vol. 476, pp. 370–383.
- Kaleris, V., 2006. Submarine groundwater discharge: Effects of hydrogeology and of near shore surface water bodies Journal of Hydrology, vol. 325, pp. 96-117.
- Kaleris, V., G. Lagas, S. Marczinek and J.A. Piotrowski, 2002: Modelling submarine groundwater discharge: an example from the western Baltic Sea. Journal of Hydrology, vol. 265/1-4, pp. 76-99.
- Kaleris, V., 2002: Influence of rate-limited sorption on the cleanup of layered soils by vapor extraction. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 55, pp. 1-27.
- Kaleris, V., D. Papanastasopoulos and G. Lagas, 2001: Case study on impact of atmospheric circulation changes on river basin hydrology: uncertainty aspects, Journal of Hydrology, vol. 245/1-4, pp. 137-152.
- Kaleris, V. and J. Croise, 1999: Estimation of cleanup time in layered soils by vapor extraction, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 36, pp. 105-129.
- Kaleris, V., 1998: Quantifying the exchange rate between groundwater and small streams, Journal of Hydraulic Research, vol. 36(6), pp. 913-932.