She holds a degree in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (2001), an MSc in Soil Mechanics and Engineering Seismology (2002) and a PhD in Computational Geomechanics (2006) from Imperial College London. Following the completion of her studies she worked as a Lecturer (2006-2014), Senior Lecturer (2014-2019) and Reader in Soil Dynamics (2019-2022) at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Imperial College London. She repatriated to her hometown in 2022, taking the position of Associate Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Patras. She maintains the honorary title of Visiting Reader of Imperial College London.
Her publication record includes over 50 articles in international journals and numerous articles in international and national conferences (see full list here), which are related to the seismic performance of tunnels, retaining structures and dams, on site response analysis and its incorporation in seismic hazard studies, topographic effects on seismic ground motion, modelling vibrations induced by pile driving and slope stability in strain softening materials. Her more recent activities include research on the axial and lateral response of piles supporting offshore wind-turbines. She has been the Principal Investigator for 4 research projects and Co-Investigator for 3 more, supported by public bodies and industry. She has supervised numerous doctoral and postdoctoral researchers (6 of them hold academic positions in the UK, China and Italy, while others work in international engineering companies). She has worked as a consultant since 2007, advising on projects relating to geotechnical earthquake engineering and computational geomechanics and she is an Associate of the Geotechnical Consulting Group (GCG).
She won the 2008 BGA Medal, the 2012 Computers & Geotechnics outstanding reviewer award, the 2017 Shamsher Prakash Foundation Excellence in Geotechnical Teaching prize and twice the David Hislop award (2019 & 2021, ICE Publishing) for the best paper on offshore matters. She is Editor of Computers and Geotechnics and serves on the editorial boards of Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering and of the Journal of Earthquake Engineering and has served on the Géotechnique Advisory Panel (2013-2015). She is member of several International and National Committees (TC203 of ISSMGE, EEAE, IAEE, SECED). She served as Chair of the UK Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics (SECED) for the period 2020-2022.
- Kontoe, S., Summersgill, F. C., Potts, D. M., & Lee, Y. (2022) “On the effectiveness of slope-stabilising piles for soils with distinct strain-softening behaviour”. Géotechnique, Vol. 72(4), pp. 309-321, doi:10.1680/jgeot.19.p.386.
- Buckley, R., Kontoe, S., Jardine, R. J., Barbosa, P., & Schroeder, F. (2021) “Pile driveability in low-to-medium density chalk”. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. Vol. 58(5), pp. 650-665. doi:10.1139/cgj-2019-0703.
- Tsaparli, V. V., Kontoe, S., Taborda, D. M. G., & Potts, D. M. (2020) “A case study of liquefaction: demonstrating the application of an advanced model and understanding the pitfalls of the simplified procedure”, Géotechnique, Vol. 70 (6), pp. 538-558, doi:10.1680/jgeot.18.p.263.
- Pelecanos, L., Kontoe, S., & Zdravkovic, L. (2020) “The effects of dam-reservoir interaction on the nonlinear seismic response of earth dams” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 24, No.6 doi:10.1080/13632469.2018.1453409.
- Han, B. O., Zdravkovic, L., & Kontoe, S. (2018) “Analytical and numerical investigation of site response due to vertical ground motion” Géotechnique, Vol. 68 (6), 467-480, doi: 10.1680/jgeot.15.P.191.