Concepts and Definitions, Environment and civil works, Impacts, state of the art, Significance of Environmental Impact, Legislation
2. Forecasting and Environmental Impact Assessment
Methodology and application of techniques, Risk forecasting and assessment, Accident impact assessment
3. Addressing Environmental Impacts and Hazards
Methodology for evaluating alternatives, Environmental restoration, Hazard reduction, Risk prevention systems
4. Monitoring of Environmental Impacts
Methodology, Quantitative and qualitative monitoring
5. Conduction of Environmental Impact Assessment Studies
Methodology for organizing the conduction of studies and follow up the process of the general study
6. Legislation and Process for Approval of Environmental Impact Assessment Studies
National and Community Legislation, Public Information and Participation, Environmental Terms, Approval Authority, Remedies.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT STUDIES OF TECHNICAL WORKS
8th or 10th
|LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION and EXAMINATIONS||
YES (in Greek)
It is obligatory course of the 8th semester of the 3rd Track “Hydraulic Engineering – Environmental Engineering”, as well as an obligatory course under selection of the 3rd and 4th Track “Systems of Sustainable Transportation and Project Management”.
The subject matter of the course aims at informing students about the methods they can use to identify, assess and address the potential environmental impacts or risks coming from the civil engineering projects and activities, as well as the relevant legislation.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
• assess possible environmental impacts on projects and activities under study
• classify environmental impacts and hazard of projects and activities
• Evaluate the impacts and propose appropriate measures to address environmental impacts and restore the environment
• Organize environmental impact assessment studies
• Supervise the implementation of environmental impact studies during construction as well as of environmental and remediation measures.
Finally, the aim of the course is to acquire basic knowledge and skills so that the qualified engineers can use them in their professional careers, either as consultants or as contractors or responsible operators of projects and activities. In particular, at the end of this course, the student will further develop the following skills:
• Ability to understand the basic concepts and mechanisms related to the environmental impact assessment of projects and activities
• Ability to apply methodologies for assessing and evaluating environmental impacts on a variety of practical problems and studies, such as site selection of civil works (industries, ports, airports), improving traffic and transportation, road positioning, disposing of solid waste etc.
• Ability to study, lifelong learning and continuing professional development
• Ability to conduct environmental impact assessment studies, as well as interdisciplinary cooperation.