Athanasios P. Chassiakos holds a diploma in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, a M.Sc. and a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Minnesota, U.S.A. He is presently an Associate Professor in construction project and infrastructure management. He is the Director of the Project, Infrastructure and City Management Laboratory.
He is the author of two books and over 100 scientific publications in international journals and conference proceedings while he has participated as an invited speaker in international conferences. He has been the principal investigator or researcher in research and technical projects supported by EU and Greek funding.
He is a member of the Editorial Board of the journals Advances in Engineering Software and Smart Infrastructure and Construction as well as of several international conferences. He is member of national and international scientific and professional associations. He has acted as a reviewer in over 20 international journals. He has been awarded for his doctoral dissertation and for published work.
His research interests are in the areas: construction project and infrastructure management, information and communication technologies in construction, digital solutions for management of the built environment, smart cities, infrastructure and construction, safety management in construction, new material and technology testing in highway structures and operation, dynamic analysis of highway pavements under moving loads, system and process optimization.
- Karatzas, S.K., Chassiakos, A.P., Karameros, A.I. “Business Processes and Comfort Demand for Energy Flexibility Analysis in Buildings”, Energies2020, 13, 6561.
- Karatzas S. and Chassiakos A. (2020). “System-Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA) for Hazard Analysis in Complex Systems: The case of ‘Demand-Side Management in a Smart Grid”, Systems2020, 8, 33.
- Chassiakos A.P. and Rempis, G. (2019). “Evolutionary algorithm performance evaluation in project time-cost optimization”. Journal of Soft Computing in Civil Engineering, 3-2, pp. 16-29.
- Tsoukalis F.C. and Chassiakos A.P (2019). “Building Information Modeling (BIM) for Safety Risk Identification in Construction Projects”. Proceedings of the Creative Construction Conference, Budapest, Hungary.
- Chassiakos A.P. and Karatzas S. (2019). “Process Centric Building Energy Management-as-a-Service”. Proceedings of the International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction (ICSIC) 2019, Cambridge University.
- Papadimitropoulos V., Karatzas S., and Chassiakos P. (2018). “Applications of Nanomaterials in Pavement Engineering: A Review”. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-10), Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Chassiakos A., Karatzas S., Farmakis P. (2018). “BIM and Lean-Business Process Reengineering for Energy Management Optimization of Existing Buildings”. Proceedings of the 35th CIB W78 Conference: IT in Design, Construction, and Management, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Farmakis, P.M. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2017). “Genetic algorithm optimization for dynamic construction site layout planning”. Organization, Technology and Management in Construction 9, pp. 1–10.
- Papadaki, I. and Chassiakos, A.P. (2016). “Multi-objective construction site layout planning using genetic algorithms”, Procedia Engineering 164, 20-27.
- Kaiafa, S. and Chassiakos, A.P., (2015). “A genetic algorithm for optimal resource-driven project scheduling”, Procedia Engineering 123, 260-267.
- Panagopoulou M. and Chassiakos A.P. (2012). “Optimization model for pavement maintenance planning and resource allocation”, Transportation Research E-Circular, E-C163, pp 25-38.
- Chassiakos, A.P., and Sakellaropoulos, S.P. (2008). “A web-based system for managing construction information”, Advances in Engineering Software, 39, pp. 865-876.
- Chassiakos, A.P., and Sakellaropoulos, S.P. (2005). “Time-cost optimization of construction projects with generalized activity constraints”, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 131 (10), pp.1115-1124.
- Theodorakopoulos, D.D., Chassiakos, A.P. and Beskos, D.E. (2004). “Dynamic effects of moving load on a poroelastic soil medium by an approximate method”, International Journal of Solids and Structures 41 (7), pp. 1801-1822.
- Chassiakos, A.P., Samaras, C.I. and Theodorakopoulos, D.D. (2000). “An Integer Programming Method for CPM Time-Cost Analysis”, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences 1 (4), pp. 9-18.