The course is a basic introductory course on concepts of Thermodynamics, Waves and of Electromagnetism. This way the student receives a general knowledge which occurs across all spectrum of modern technology, especially in the civil engineering profession such as thermal losses in energy buildings, installation of electrical networks, acoustics etc.
By the end of this course the student will be able to:
- Understand the different physical units which appear in any study like Calories, Joules, BTUs, Watts, Volts, Amperes, Decibels etc.
- To be able to easily convert from one unit to another, for example in air-conditioners convert BTUS in Watts
- To be familiar with various tables with materials properties such as thermal conductivity, Specific heat, Thermal expansion, Modulus of Elasticity, Density, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Magnetic Materials, so as to be able to choose the appropriate material for each application.
- To be able to do basic calculations in the problems of the class material, based on the formulas, on the above tables as well as figures which must be able to draw easily from the given data and the wanted questions of the respective problem.
- To be able to work with his fellow students to solve simple problems which are given weekly in order to gain a better understanding of matter.